LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need an opti?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need an opti?

I followed a test i found online, to disconnect my ign module and test to see if im getting 1-4 ac voltage coming from the opti to show that it is providing a signal to tell the module to fire the coil. i am not getting any voltage out of my opti. alittle background on the car. i did a h/c/i swap on the engine, and im wondering if i messed up with my cam install if the opti would still pick up a signal from the cam, send it to the pcm, then in return have the signal sent to the ign module to fire the coil?

thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

If you end up needing an opti, send me a PM. I have my stock opti which works perfectly. I only replaced it with a vented MSD when i put in my coil and wires.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Teching In

how do u do that test , like which wires do u test? im having a problem with my car and i dont want to go out and just buy a opti and not knowing if thats the problem. cause im not getting any vacuum but it also wolt go past 800 rpm with the throttle half way down. i put a cam in it but its not big. its supost to give me more vacuum. i've been messing with it for a month know checking everything and im going crazy.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Usually if your optical sensor goes bad and you are no longer sending any hi/lo res signals, you will throw a code.