LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Installing plugs & wires tomorrow any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing plugs & wires tomorrow any tips?

Tomorrow mourning I'll start installing AC Delco plugs and MSD 8.5mm wires in my 94 z28. I've read plenty posting about how hard and time comsuming it is to complete this job.
Any advice for me before I go on this journey that will make my life easier?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Take your time, do one plug wire at a time, and the best tool I have found is a short 5/8 spark plug socket combined with a flex head ratcheting wrench that fits the spark plug tool.
These two items have dramatically reduced the time it has taken me to do my plugs. Donations to the swear bucket will increase exponentially. But if you have alot of miles on the plugs/ wires, when done you will definitely feel a difference.

HTH

Andy Schuck
Old 06-28-2009, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

X2

This is a MF to do, but you can get it done. You will find that your body can twist in ways you NEVER thought possible! lmao!!! Are you using a lift??? Might be easier to get to some of the back ones from the bottom...

Do you have headers or the stock manifolds??? If I were you do the OTVC SP Wire mod...makes changing the wires later on a piece of cake compared to the stock way...
Old 06-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
X2

This is a MF to do, but you can get it done. You will find that your body can twist in ways you NEVER thought possible! lmao!!! Are you using a lift??? Might be easier to get to some of the back ones from the bottom...

Do you have headers or the stock manifolds??? If I were you do the OTVC SP Wire mod...makes changing the wires later on a piece of cake compared to the stock way...
Well I only have 78,000 miles on my car but Im having acceleration problems so I thought I might start with the wires and plugs first to see if that helps. No headers just stock msnifold. Where can I find a "OTVC SP Wire mod"?
Thanks for the tool tip. I'll stop at NAPA in the mourning to get some tools.
Are the MSD wires a good fit? Now im hearing a few of the wires are way too long.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

If you have the stock manifolds:

15 minutes - 1 hour on the drivers side (VERY EASY).
1 - 2 hours on the passenger side.

My advice for the passenger side outside of the 5/8" socket andysc is recommending - drop the starter for the back plug and you can reach right up to the plug and wire. The passenger front will require you to take off the alternator.

This all comes from a less than pleasant first experience (lots of scrapes and foul language in the garage that day...) changing my plugs and wires and then having to do it again because I didn't get the back passenger plug wire on and developed a nice miss after a couple hundred miles vibrating the wire loose.

If you had headers, you could practically do the whole job from the top.

Have fun... >
Old 06-28-2009, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

look up "Made-4-U" and you can get a good set of OTVC SP Wire looms...

Get ahold of 99BlancoSS and he can hook you up with a set of MSD 8.5mm Superconductor SP Wires that ar long enough to go over the covers...

If you already have the MSD Wires maybe he can make a deal with you or something, who knows...no harm in asking...

With the stock manifolds you shouldnt have a problem with the wires hitting the manifold and burning out, but if you ever get headers it is a problem and the OTVC mod alleviates that issue. On top of that it makes changing the wires a HELL of a lot easier the next time you do it...

If you want pics of what the mod looks like, shoot me your email address and I will show you mine.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

the mod counting new wires and the loom kit costs around 150 bucks, but worth every penny to get rid of that heartache when changing SP wires
Old 06-28-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You cannot use stock manifolds with the OTVC method, it just won't work (or at least you'll burn the snot out of them).
Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You cannot use stock manifolds with the OTVC method, it just won't work (or at least you'll burn the snot out of them).
Yub, that why my kit I got from blanco still sit on my closet , Im put it in with new plug when LT is in.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Tons of useful information thank you guys! One more silly question. My plugs look like there already gaped at .060 but I need them to be at .050. Can you bend the tip to get the correct spec? If so how without cracking center electrode?

Last edited by xxRONNIExx; 06-28-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: more question
Old 06-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Launching!

If you want pics of what the mod looks like, shoot me your email address and I will show you mine.
diamondway_ent@yahoo.com
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xxRONNIExx
Tons of useful information thank you guys! One more silly question. My plugs look like there already gaped at .060 but I need them to be at .050. Can you bend the tip to get the correct spec? If so how without cracking center electrode?
That's how you gap plugs, you bend the side electrode.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
That's how you gap plugs, you bend the side electrode.
Okay I read a few examples of how to increase the gap but not decrease. Now I know thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

On the Pass side, to help with access, remove the short exhaust pipe from the DR side to the Y-pipe, then remove the starter - I had to do that the first time (total time 6.25 hours); the second time I replaced the plugs (and wires as well!) in a bit under 4 hours.

Patience - just keep repeating that word...

: )
Old 06-29-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Put the plug in the spark plug socket, get a hammer, bang away on the side arm until it's .050
Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 AM
Banned

WOW! I still have stock manifolds and the last two times i did plugs were 45minutes to an hour tops.1,2,3,5 from the top 4,6,7,8 from the bottom. no taking the starter off or anything ridiculous. i keep seeing posts with people saying it takes hours and hours to do this.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wooshie
WOW! I still have stock manifolds and the last two times i did plugs were 45minutes to an hour tops.1,2,3,5 from the top 4,6,7,8 from the bottom. no taking the starter off or anything ridiculous. i keep seeing posts with people saying it takes hours and hours to do this.
What the hell??? You must have some little assed hands or something...I have a hard time getting my hands ANYWHERE NEAR my spark plugs sometimes...hell last time i ALMOST had to pull my passenger side header before I found one little sweet spot lmao.

And I mean little too...

they are definately a PITA
Old 06-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned

What the hell??? You must have some little assed hands or something...I have a hard time getting my hands ANYWHERE NEAR my spark plugs sometimes...hell last time i ALMOST had to pull my passenger side header before I found one little sweet spot lmao.

And I mean little too...

they are definately a PITA
Actually im 6'9" but i have a trendous reach where i can reach my hand behind the accessory bracket to reach 4,6,8 from the bottom. i do them one at a time and just have a friend (or my wife) pass stuff down to me so i dont have to snake my arm in and out. The hardest one for me to get is the one behind the steering shaft. after that its a piece of cake.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

stock manifolds and 45 minutes sound like quite the statement
Old 06-29-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Tomorrow mourning I'll start installing AC Delco plugs and MSD 8.5mm wires in my 94 z28. I've read plenty posting about how hard and time comsuming it is to complete this job.
Any advice for me before I go on this journey that will make my life easier?
Take a Xanax and drink a beer before any work is started.

Quick Reply: Installing plugs & wires tomorrow any tips?