LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Preparing for clutch swap, what to know?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Preparing for clutch swap, what to know?

ok, so the clutch in my 95 T/a is shot. im replacing it with a fenco clutch because im broke and it has a lifetime warranty, lol. so i dont want to hear "OH get this clutch" because i already know there are better out there. anyway, im starting to think it would be a good idea to atleast have my flywheel resurfaced so where can i have this done? and what does it cost. and im sure i should have searched but, can i geta link to all the torque specs i'll need when reassembling everything? and any tips or pointers for the whole job, a local guy on here that has done this on his ls1 car many times is going to give me a hand. but still.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotroddin
ok, so the clutch in my 95 T/a is shot. im replacing it with a fenco clutch because im broke and it has a lifetime warranty, lol. so i dont want to hear "OH get this clutch" because i already know there are better out there. anyway, im starting to think it would be a good idea to atleast have my flywheel resurfaced so where can i have this done? and what does it cost. and im sure i should have searched but, can i geta link to all the torque specs i'll need when reassembling everything? and any tips or pointers for the whole job, a local guy on here that has done this on his ls1 car many times is going to give me a hand. but still.

Thanks,
Joe
Having a guy whose done it before is going to help you out a bunch. Even if he's only done it on a LS1, there are only slight differences in the job between LT1's and LS1's. Here are a few tips. For more info, go to the Manual Transmissions subforum or search T56 clutch swap on .

Yes, get your flywheel resurfaced. It should only be like 35 bucks or so. Find a local repair shop and ask them where to go and get it done.

One thing you also need to be sure to do is to replace your pilot bearing/bushing. This will require a special blind bearing tool or a blind bearing puller slide hammer attachment and a slide hammer. I got a blind bearing puller and slide hammer from Autozone. You'll see how to use it.

After you drain the trans and remove the cross member, allow the trans to sag down a little so that you can access the top two trans to bellhousing bolts. You'll need to make the "mega extension" to get them. Basically a bunch of extensions (like a 12" + 6" + 6" + 3") it helps to have a couple swivel head extensions.

I always fill up the trans with 4 quarts, filling at the shifter housing from inside the car, after the trans is all bolted up and level of course.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ment-pics.html

Theres a few good pics in there to give you an idea of what's ahead..

I would definatly get the flywheel resurfaced.. It cost me $35 at a local auto parts store with a machine shop

As far as the tourque specs go, I would recomend a Chilton's manual. You can get one from murrays/autozone for about $20. It's got eeeeverything you'll need in there. If you don't feel like getting one just shoot me a PM and I could look em up for you in mine later.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Launching!

thanks, your thread was very helpful, im kinda excited to dig into it now. lol

Quick Reply: Preparing for clutch swap, what to know?