LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need to order a cam soon, please help. 93 T/A M6

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to order a cam soon, please help. 93 T/A M6

Well I'm 17 years old, so money isn't in the greatest supply.
But I managed to get my 93 T/A and it runs good, it has 120K on it, K&N CAI, and flomasters with a test pipe. I've also done some little mods here and there.
Now I've been looking to do a cam, and the cc305/cc306 seem to get good results but some say it's too old to work right.
I want to either run stock heads, or have them machined somewhere cheap.

What I'm saying is, I want a cam that sounds good, and puts out as much power as it can, I don't want to go too small, I'd rather go a little bigger. I plan on using stock heads, or possibly having them machined.

What cam should I order? I've searched and researched everywhere, and what else would I need to order online for the install?

Trying to keep $ to a low.. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Whatever cam you go with, please do not listen to those who tell you that if you install a cam you'll magically spin a bearing.
If you plan on doing the install yourself (probably best) just make absolutely/positively/doubledoggdarely/sure that the entire install is clean. That means cleaning the entire front of your engine and surrounding areas with brake cleaner or mineral spirits and a brush. I take it this is going to be done with the engine in the car. If that is the case then your oil pan will need to be dropped (not taken completely off) to remove the timing cover. The reason I tell you this is because the oil pan then acts like a big "catch all" because it is sticking out enough to catch any sort of dirt/debris/old sealant.
Make sure your hands stay clean while removing the old cam and stabbing in the new one. ESPECIALLY when lubing the cam journals.
There is no breaking in the bearings. Neither journal nor bearing "conforms" to one-another. Whatever you do make sure these areas only contain lubricant.
Make absolutely sure to take your time and be gentle both with removing the old cam and putting in the new one. Buy yourself some 3 or 3.5" bolts (three of them) to screw into the front of the cam once it starts reaching the back of the engine. This will give you ample leverage to make sure the rear of the cam doesn't get too clumsy when going into perspective bearings.
That's about all I can say from the top of my head...
Good luck.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the post, I will definitely read this over before I do it and follow those guidelines.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The other thing I forgot to mention is to make sure you clean the engine/areas before you start removing anything. When you start removing components, clean as you go. Also removing water pump gasket and timing cover gasket material can get real tedious. A razor blade scraper works well as well as that gasket remover crap you can buy at any auto store. You must make sure all material is removed or risk leakage of oil or coolant when put back together.
When using a gasket on the timing cover and water pump it is not necessary to apply sealant, but it's your choice...
There are plenty of install guides you can read. I think your best source of info would be:
www.shbox.com
Old 07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randal McSandal
Well I'm 17 years old, so money isn't in the greatest supply.
But I managed to get my 93 T/A and it runs good, it has 120K on it, K&N CAI, and flomasters with a test pipe. I've also done some little mods here and there.
Now I've been looking to do a cam, and the cc305/cc306 seem to get good results but some say it's too old to work right.
I want to either run stock heads, or have them machined somewhere cheap.

What I'm saying is, I want a cam that sounds good, and puts out as much power as it can, I don't want to go too small, I'd rather go a little bigger. I plan on using stock heads, or possibly having them machined.

What cam should I order? I've searched and researched everywhere, and what else would I need to order online for the install?

Trying to keep $ to a low.. Thanks.
Do you have full exhaust yet? Mid/longtubes ? Might want to consider that before your cam.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I'm thinking the same, also maybe it's worth my money to spend 2,000 on a bike than headers/cam.

Quick Reply: Need to order a cam soon, please help. 93 T/A M6