LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

new project with new problems!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new project with new problems!

I just bought a 1997 camaro z-28 from a guy who knows absolutely nothing about it, so in return neither do I. The car has a list of problems im trying to fix. The car backfires A LOT! Not so bad when the engine is cold but mainly when its warmed up. When driving on the streets it just gets hotter and hotter, no idea how hot because anytime it gets higher than 225 I just stop driving it. When on the highways however the car will cool off pretty fast and run at about 180. When the car does get super hot I notice a drop in oil pressure. Today at a red light I noticed it drop all the way down to like 12. When its cold it idles around 40. No matter what the temp is under WOT the car is reall hesitant and laggy. So far I have switched most of the plugs and wire with new ones (have trouble reaching some of them like #8) tomorrow I will be changing the oil and flushing the radiator because this car has been sitting for almost a year.Any suggestions to what parts I need to check/replace would be greatly appreciated.Oh and the car is bone stock except he said he has stage 2 heads just put on along with a rebuilt engine like 1000 miles before they let it sit for a year. (I know need more info on the heads)
Old 07-19-2009, 04:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do all the normal stuff, plugs, wires, fresh fuel, fuel filter ect. Check the opti, as well as seeing if the heating issue is caused by either a t-stat or water pump failure. I'd also do a leakdown test and compression check.

Now when you mean backfire, do you mean it pops through the exhaust or back through the intake?
Old 07-19-2009, 04:38 AM
Teching In

it backfires out the exhaust. And under WOT its like a constant backfire sounds like a really loud machine gun.(quite embarrasing).
Old 07-19-2009, 04:40 AM
Teching In

Dont know if it matters but the car has no muffler. Owner before me just cut it off.

Quick Reply: new project with new problems!