LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Installing valvesprings with the heads on the block.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing valvesprings with the heads on the block.

Im installing my new valvesprings(918's) along with Promag rockers. I dont want to pull the heads off. How is everyone keeping the valves from sliding down when changing springs. I had the idea of filling the cylinder with an air compressor through the spark plug hole. Im open to ideas, what do you guys think?
Old 07-25-2009, 07:53 PM
MDR
Teching In

Originally Posted by OddballLt1
Im installing my new valvesprings(918's) along with Promag rockers. I dont want to pull the heads off. How is everyone keeping the valves from sliding down when changing springs. I had the idea of filling the cylinder with an air compressor through the spark plug hole. Im open to ideas, what do you guys think?
You can bring the pistons to top dead center which will allow for the valves to stay up. There is a great write up at shbox.com (link below). I just did this method and it worked just fine and I didn't have to worry about pulling all the plugs and compressing with air. Make sure that you get the proper guide plates and hardened pushrods too.

http://shbox.com/ci/valve_spring_swap.html
Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Ive got stock length Cromoly PR, and LS7 lifters.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MDR
You can bring the pistons to top dead center which will allow for the valves to stay up. There is a great write up at shbox.com (link below). I just did this method and it worked just fine and I didn't have to worry about pulling all the plugs and compressing with air. Make sure that you get the proper guide plates and hardened pushrods too.

http://shbox.com/ci/valve_spring_swap.html
X2 don't waste your time pulling the plugs the LT's valves won't drop far.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:56 PM
MDR
Teching In

Originally Posted by OddballLt1
Ive got stock length Cromoly PR, and LS7 lifters.
The cups on LS7 lifters are .120 shallower than the stock lifters so you'll want to check your pushrod length using a pushrod checker from comp. I have the LS7 lifters with my CC503 camshaft and my pushrod length ended up being 7.050 which is .150 shorter than the stock 7.200 pushrod. Do a search on how to check pushrod length and you'll get an idea of how to it.

Quick Reply: Installing valvesprings with the heads on the block.