LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

OBDII to OBDI M6 transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OBDII to OBDI M6 transmission issue

I just got my 96 Z28 back together after an engine rebuild. Installed a OBDI computer out of a 95Z in place of the OBDII that was in the car. The car runs good but i can't get 3rd or 5th gear while driving. I'm getting 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 6th just fine. Also, there seems to be no reverse lockout functioning. At idle, while stopped, I can easily shift the transmission into all the gears. I'm thinking something is up with the skip-shift and I intend to delete it, but I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this problem or has any comments. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

To pinpoint the reverse lockout solenoid, try and unplug your reverse lockout solenoid and see if any of your symptoms change.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

You accidentally swap the reverse inhibit and skip shift solenoids??? That's what it sounds like. Shifts through gears when stopped (when reverse inhibit should let you go into reverse) and won't go into gears once moving (like you have the reverse inhibit plug plugged into the skip shift...)
Old 08-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RyanA
You accidentally swap the reverse inhibit and skip shift solenoids??? That's what it sounds like. Shifts through gears when stopped (when reverse inhibit should let you go into reverse) and won't go into gears once moving (like you have the reverse inhibit plug plugged into the skip shift...)
I agree, that's really what it seems like. I don't think there's any way the harness connectors are swapped though, same harness as before, same trans, lines up perfectly, physically unable to switch them now due to wite length. I wonder if the ECM pin outs are different between the OBDI and II. I'm going to delte the Skip Shift with a resistor mod, I'll see if that works.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Launching!

OPK, deletes the Skip Shift by installing resistor in place of the solenoid. Works great! I have all 6 gears. Reverse lockout still not functioning. Now I need to look at that. Maybe I'll wire it always on and put a manual override switch in it.