LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

best bang for the buck roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best bang for the buck roller rockers

i am upgrading the cam again.....and its not funny since its the third cam to be in it. Dont ask me til tomrrow for the brand, but this repitable(sp) machine shop, not the one i took my motor to before, put these parts together for me. I told them that i wanted it be like the lt4 hot cam kit, so we got a cam that is a duration of 218/228 at .50 and a lift of .512 for both int/ex.

This is a decent upgrade from my 210/215 duration at .50 and .464intak .470 exhaust that my old cam has.

So in doing so, he asked me since the motor is in a little s10 if i would be driving it hard, and i was honest and said i like to have fun in it. And he said well this is why i was asking you, hes putting upgraded parts in it that will take the abuse as if it was a track ready truck. Not saying its going to have oversized springs like my truck did before, but it will be all built to the power the truck has.

So in doing so, i am going with 1.6 roller rockers and wanted to know if there was a better price or set of RR's oter than the ones that the lt4 hot cam kit offers. They want 329 bux and iddnt know if there is a better set out there. Let me know asap, i need these roller rockers before the end of next week.

and also, i do need to trim the inner side of teh valve covers correct?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using the GMPP rollers, but the 1.5 ratio. I've got close to 20,000 miles on them, so far so good. Keep in mind, GM put the LT4 engines in Corvettes from the factory, and warranteed them.....
Old 08-20-2009, 06:02 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Comp Cams Pro Magnums are cheaper, and steel too
Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, you shouldn't skimp on rockers. A good full roller rocker should be the cornerstone of any valvetrain setup, whether it be Comp Pro Mags, etc.

And FWIW, the rockers that come with the LT4 kit are very good (Crane).

Depending on the rockers you use, you may or may not need to trim the covers.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
IMO, you shouldn't skimp on rockers. A good full roller rocker should be the cornerstone of any valvetrain setup, whether it be Comp Pro Mags, etc.

And FWIW, the rockers that come with the LT4 kit are very good (Crane).

Depending on the rockers you use, you may or may not need to trim the covers.
yea i guess i didnt word it correctly, but i what i meant was in terms of ppl saying that theres better cams out there than the lt4 hot cam, i was just trying to ask if theres better cams or better quality RR's than the ones in that kit. I wasnt trying to skimp since this cam/head job is costing me more than i thougt.

And how much is the pro mags mentioned above?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Go with a CC503 for daily driving and some fun on the side, or a custom cam (always better).
Old 08-20-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Scorpion Roller Rockers seem to be the cheapest good roller rockers around. Alot of people are using them and I haven't heard of any problems. It's what I'm putting in my car soon - I already have the set sitting in my closet.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ADM
Go with a CC503 for daily driving and some fun on the side, or a custom cam (always better).
cant, already hae the cam and complimentary parts with the cam.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Counted Out
Scorpion Roller Rockers seem to be the cheapest good roller rockers around. Alot of people are using them and I haven't heard of any problems. It's what I'm putting in my car soon - I already have the set sitting in my closet.
whats the price on those scorpion RR's? and another question is that as long as we are going with 1.6 rollers, theres no issue with brands and such right? Like the heads ar being built for/with 1.6 RR's, so i didnt know if some 1.6s are slightly different or not.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

I can't say I've heard anything bad about Scorpions either, but you'll need to decide SA or NSA. I'm not sure what you mean about brands, they will all bolt onto the head as long as they are for a sbc. Just get narrow bodied rockers, that way you won't have to trim the valve cover at all.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My95Z
I can't say I've heard anything bad about Scorpions either, but you'll need to decide SA or NSA. I'm not sure what you mean about brands, they will all bolt onto the head as long as they are for a sbc. Just get narrow bodied rockers, that way you won't have to trim the valve cover at all.
waht do you mean by sa or nsa? And i meant like will any sbc RR's work on our lt1's or are there specific ones for our motors?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
waht do you mean by sa or nsa? And i meant like will any sbc RR's work on our lt1's or are there specific ones for our motors?
That makes sense now...any narrow body sbc roller rocker should work. Some/most wide bodies will, but that will require trimming of the valve covers.

SA = Self Aligning

NSA = Non Self Aligning

You can get either type, stock ones are SA and have little bumps on the ends to keep the rocker centered on the valve stem tip, while most aftermarket ones will use tabs besides the rocker to keep it aligned. NSA are better for higher rpm's, but will require guideplates (adjustable ones would be all I get b/c some have fitment issues with other non adj ones) and you'll also need hardened pushrods since the rod will be guided by the guideplate.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Just for your information, there have been several recent posts on Pro Mags breaking. Two that come to mind had one break at the trunnion, the other one broke at the roller tip (that rides on the valve stem).

A third guy reports his SELF-ALIGNING rocker jumped off the valve stem tip and got wedged against the side of the valve spring. Still another actually had a rocker stud break.

I can't be sure, but I believe I saw the posts on LS1LT1.COM complete with photos of the broken rocker arms. There may other other Forums where these failures are showing up. Visit them and do a Search.

I strongly recommend going with NON-SELF ALIGNING rockers arms, hardened guide plates and hardened, one-piece push rods.

Of course, as always there will be at least one person who'll post that he's been running SA Pro Mags since the beginning of time without a single problem. But one picture of a broken Pro Mag is worth a thousand words.

I went with Scorpion, NSA 7/16" rockers several weeks ago for my son's 96 LT1. $222.00

Choice is yours.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im going to be running scorpions on my car when i get to that point... they are decently priced and iv been told they are a good product...
Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NEVER go cheap on roller rockers.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I paid less than $230 for my Scorpions.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Crane Golds here.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I would go with crane golds or comp high tech stainless!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went cheap the first time and went with comps roller rips. they got burnt out from the oil not being held long enough on the pivot fulcrum. im running comps ultra golds and wish i had gone that route sooner. next time ill be going with comps pro magnums.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Been running Scorpions here for over a year with no issues. I had some small issues with my old Crane gold's but I sold them and got the scorpions (NSA) for $180 brand new through a local speed shop. Scorpion is also a local company here in south florida so they said if I ever have any problem to just bring the rockers to them and they'll take care of it. I honestly haven't heard any Scorpion failures.. I love mine

Quick Reply: best bang for the buck roller rockers