LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Measuring main and rod bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Measuring main and rod bearings

94 lt1. I had the journals polished (not turned) and i'm using the stock rods and main caps. My question is do i need to measure for oversized bearings? If so how do i go about this? Thansk
Old 12-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Just to clarify i need to know if i need to buy regular bearings or if it will be necessary to get onversized ones
Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ebeard
Just to clarify i need to know if i need to buy regular bearings or if it will be necessary to get onversized ones
The only way to answer that question is to check bearing clearances. Being the shaft was polished it should be just a standard bearing, but in some cases they have to be polished pretty heavily. For those cases you will have to get a hardened race bearing, which come in .001 undersized if needed. I would recommend getting the bearing clearances checked by a machine shop. They should be able to assist you in purchasing the right bearings.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

just check your clearances with plasti-gauge. you can get it at any auto store cheap and its pretty straight forward. you should be checking them all anyway

Quick Reply: Measuring main and rod bearings