LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Changing spark plug with Header, not to hard job ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changing spark plug with Header, not to hard job ?

I never change plug on lt1 before, most lt1 I own the preview owner already change it. this 97 lt1 already come with shorty header, I think the passenger side header need to be tight. Nothing wrong with the car atm, no idle issuse, but I just want change the plug since the owner told me he just did, but I want to do it anway and not wait until it fail. Im thinking this sunday first thing in the morning, is get down their and change the plug with tight all the header bolt. I bought 8 ngk tr55 and gap at .050. and fuel filter, any tip on changing the plug with header ? I have tool, but what tool combo tool work best here ? thanks ! BTW any one know a " Jack Point " on lt1 car ? I need to know where best location to put the jack stand. Pix would be nice.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Rockstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a pain in the ***.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
It's a pain in the ***.
ah crap, since the car still run good, i guest I just keep it that way then. But I know I cant go sleep tonight without dig more into this first, then make decition .
Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with headers it sucks. I have Hooker long tubes and I have to unbolt them to get certain plugs out cause there is not enough room to get a wrench and socket back there. If its not needed right away I would just hold on to the parts till they become needed.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know what kind of headers you guys are running, but with my MACs, Jet Hots, and LPPs, I could change plugs in 30 minutes.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Plugs are very easy with pacesetter LTs as well.

Plug wires are still bleh
Old 07-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
Even with headers it sucks. I have Hooker long tubes and I have to unbolt them to get certain plugs out cause there is not enough room to get a wrench and socket back there. If its not needed right away I would just hold on to the parts till they become needed.

Are you referring to #6 and #8? If so, a better way may be to get them from underneath. You'd still have to use a wrench on a plug socket, but it can be done. You can also use an offset box end wrench. A bit trickier, but can be done. I can't rightly remember, but the starter may have to be unbolted.

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I don't know what kind of headers you guys are running, but with my MACs, Jet Hots, and LPPs, I could change plugs in 30 minutes.
Solid barg!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Yea once the starter is removed it make it so much better and wires are so easy if you go otvc.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

No way you have to take off the headers. Ive got Jet hots and Mac-mids. The jet hots are fairly easy and the mac mids are even easier.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

plugs are easy with headers. I dont know what some of you guys are talking about.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Launching!

changing plugs with my lpp's is 100x's easier than with the stock mani's. No **** I could probably do it in less than 45 mins. Also I have the shorty slp spark plug socket and it made it a lot easier.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

well guys, just got back change upper and lower radiator hose, then itchy about doing spark plug change, HELL IS COMING !! Im doing driver side first, im take all out at the bottem, and passenger side I take every thing from the top !!! take me 6 hours to just for plug change ( first time with lt1 ). its 2: 46am now, i need to sleep, body is cover with coolant and grease, i take a shower tomorrow, btw job cant be done without #19 wrench and spark plug shocket that let you use the wrench to turn, btw some time my spark plug socket stuck, any one have tip how to prevent spark plug socket stuck on plug ? I use delectric grease to put on spark plug so it kinda loose when I take of the socket, but most of the time it just stuck their with the plug.

one last question, the preview owner using denso irridium plug, when I take it off, the tip of the plug seem coming loose, look like you can twist it in and out, is this normal ?

Last edited by killagt; 07-18-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by killagt
well guys, just got back change upper and lower radiator hose, then itchy about doing spark plug change, HELL IS COMING !! Im doing driver side first, im take all out at the bottem, and passenger side I take every thing from the top !!! take me 6 hours to just for plug change ( first time with lt1 ). its 2: 46am now, i need to sleep, body is cover with coolant and grease, i take a shower tomorrow, btw job cant be done without #19 wrench and spark plug shocket that let you use the wrench to turn, btw some time my spark plug socket stuck, any one have tip how to prevent spark plug socket stuck on plug ? I use delectric grease to put on spark plug so it kinda loose when I take of the socket, but most of the time it just stuck their with the plug.

one last question, the preview owner using denso irridium plug, when I take it off, the tip of the plug seem coming loose, look like you can twist it in and out, is this normal ?
Well no that is not normal buddy. What i did that works great for me is a 3/4in ratchet wrench on a 5/8 spark plug socket. I took a extra spark plug and used it as a guide to see how much i could shorten the socket. Marked it with a marker and then cut it off with a grinder and cut off wheel. Since you will be using a ratchet wrench, it wont matter if the end of the spark plug is sticking out a bit at the other end.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Launching!

when my dad and I changed the plugs on the bird when I first got it, it took us about 8 hours to do plugs and wires. We were both like wtf it took us that long just to do plugs and wires? We've had the trans and transfercase out of my sonoma out and back in in that much time, though the car had the stock manifolds on it and we didn't pull the starter out either, that probably would've taken some time off, since we messed with the #6 and #8 plugs for a while. Since the long tubes I've changed them a few times and it's been less than an hour each time.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie4life
when my dad and I changed the plugs on the bird when I first got it, it took us about 8 hours to do plugs and wires. We were both like wtf it took us that long just to do plugs and wires? We've had the trans and transfercase out of my sonoma out and back in in that much time, though the car had the stock manifolds on it and we didn't pull the starter out either, that probably would've taken some time off, since we messed with the #6 and #8 plugs for a while. Since the long tubes I've changed them a few times and it's been less than an hour each time.
Yeah I think when my beater (97 TA) needs a tune up, I'm just going to do headers.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Yeah I think when my beater (97 TA) needs a tune up, I'm just going to do headers.
That what I think too lol. any one have any ideal how long until I need to do plug change again on ngk tr55 copper plug ? im thinking use platium next time so it last me a little bit longer.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

That what I think too lol. any one have any ideal how long until I need to do plug change again on ngk tr55 copper plug ? im thinking use platium next time so it last me a little bit longer.
Typically copper electrodes can last anywhere from 20k miles to 40k miles, depending on conditions.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Typically copper electrodes can last anywhere from 20k miles to 40k miles, depending on conditions.
20k miles, I guest I change one a year . What about quality platium plug ? how long will it last ?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

20k miles, I guest I change one a year . What about quality platium plug ? how long will it last ?
Substantially longer, but they are pricier too. Keep in mind, the stock AC Delco platinum plugs weren't scheduled to be changed for 100k miles.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow 100k miles plug. that way crazy, will delectric grease turn into those white powder thing after long period of time with plug ? is this normal ? few year ago im alway use delectic grease on plug boot, then after a year I take the boot off the plug, and find out bunch of white powder thing, I beleive its from the delectric grease. Will these white powder thing do any harm to the plug ?

Quick Reply: Changing spark plug with Header, not to hard job ?