LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 Stroker question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 Stroker question

Ok this is not an update for my build, it is a question for general readers and for my own knowledge. Please make your explanations understandable for newbies. The question is what is the difference between a LT1 383 stroker and a regular 350 LT1? Also what is the difference in horsepower on average. I am asking because someone said that they are the same thing and there is not too much of a difference, and although I am new to this, I don't agree with that. Someone please explain this.

One more question. What is the average price for a machine shop to bore the engine and port the engine?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleb45
Ok this is not an update for my build, it is a question for general readers and for my own knowledge. Please make your explanations understandable for newbies. The question is what is the difference between a LT1 383 stroker and a regular 350 LT1? Also what is the difference in horsepower on average. I am asking because someone said that they are the same thing and there is not too much of a difference, and although I am new to this, I don't agree with that. Someone please explain this.

One more question. What is the average price for a machine shop to bore the engine and port the engine?

Thanks
350 is a 4.00" bore with a 3.48" stroke.
383 is a 4.030" bore with a 3.75" stroke.
396 is a 4.030" bore with a 3.85" stroke.

The horsepower difference lies in the valvetrain for the most part and has little to do with the rotating assembly. However, a stroker motor will almost always have more lower end torque due to the longer stroke.

Stroker motors have larger cylinders. Subsequently they can support more aggressive camshaft profiles (those with longer durations) and cylinder heads to fill up the extra volume.

Prices vary as there are many many extra costs that are incurred during the machining process that doesn't span every person's build requirements.

This is only the tip of the iceberg - I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Machining shouldnt be too much, no more than a few hundred

Quick Reply: 383 Stroker question