LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I don't know what it was but I did something to piss the car off

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't know what it was but I did something to **** the car off

I'm completely out of ideas on what could be causing this missfire i have. It only happens when I get stuck in traffic or have the a/c on so the car runs a little hotter. i have a new 160 thermostat and as long as the a/c is off and i going down the road the car runs about 165-170. if i get stuck in traffic it will get up to about 180-185 and thats when the missfire starts. it's only off idle, and when happens you can hear cylinders coming in and out, once you get moving and the car cools back down it goes away again. I have tried everything I can think of. I put new NGK TR55's in it, the wires are almost new MSD's, new ignition module, new MSD coil, New opti from chandler motorsports, new opti harness, two new Delphi O2 sensors. I'm out of ideas. I scanned it with a snap on solus and it has no codes, and has never set an SES light. I'm so frustrated with this cuz I've been fighting it most of the damn summer and I just wanna be able to drive my car and actually enjoy it for part of the nice time of year. If anybody has any suggestions or ideas let me know. I'm to the point where i'm almost ready to take it somewhere and say here figure it out.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would change the fuel filter, Air Filter, clean MAF & TB. If that didn't fix it i would take it in and have it diagnosed n then fix it my self.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your mods?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

icm could be getting to hot
Old 08-23-2010, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Get the car tuned and have your fan turn on temps changed so the car always stays cool. I've never heard of a car missing when it runs at 185 and smooth at 165. I could see if it got up around 230 or so, but 185 is still relatively cool. Man oh man did you throw a lot of parts at it though.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Teching In

the car is well modded, forged rotating assembly, cam, svo 30lb injectors, rockers, CAI, LT's, true duals, no cats, it does have a tune from madz28 and it is tuned to run with the 160 thermostat so the fans are coming on and off properly. i know i did try a lot of things, i tested what i could and then decided to try things that seemed to make sense such as icm due to getting hot, plugs because the old ones had 25,000 on them, coil because i had planned to switch to MSD anyway, opti because i wasn't sure of the age or internal condition of it, opti harness due to a small amount of corrosion, o2's because i have heard of a lot of people with similar issues being caused by o2's. that's what is so strange to me is the temperature cut off. i just don't understand it.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jcl_96TA
I would change the fuel filter, Air Filter, clean MAF & TB. If that didn't fix it i would take it in and have it diagnosed n then fix it my self.
Agreed. Cheap and easy stuff first
Old 08-24-2010, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Do you have o2 extentions or did you cut and extend the wires like some companies suggest you do? I cut my o2 wires and extended them and soon found out no matter how good you seal everything up water still gets to the wires and causes a miss only when at operating temp. If this is what you did get new o2's and extentions. If not good luck.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Teching In

i should put a new fuel filter in it as i'm not sure how old it is. and i'm going to try cleaning the Mass air flow, it has a CAI on it and i did just clean the filter for it a couple weeks ago so that is in good shape. i do have o2 extension harnesses so i don't think that is the problem but i will double check to make sure there isn't any moisture in those connections.