LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

timing cover and oil pan gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default timing cover and oil pan gasket

i'm putting my car back together and got to the timing cover and just realized that the bottom on the cover was apart of the oil pan gasket. I know the pan can't be drop in the car. Do i need to replace my oil pan gasket or is there something else i could do to my the bottom of the timing cover?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Do you mean the oil pan gasket ripped and is stuck to the bottom of the timing cover? If so, you can carefully RTV the gasket together once the timing cover is in place. I put dabs on the block and timing cover where the crack would form when timing cover was in place. Worked beautifully. I used Ultra Black.
If you don't want to do that your only option is to another oil pan gasket. It is possible to drop the pan, but you'll have to loosen the k-member until it's hanging by a few threads and jack the engine up. From what I understand dropping the pan on auto f-bodys is far easier. I'd just RTV the cracks of the gasket and be done w/ it.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Do you mean the oil pan gasket ripped and is stuck to the bottom of the timing cover?
yes, and i will try some RV

Quick Reply: timing cover and oil pan gasket