LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Evap Core & Expansion valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap Core & Expansion valve

Finally found what the problem is. Low side/expansion valve is building too much pressure. Going to order the valve and evap core, but need to know exactly where its located near the heater core. Is it on top of the heater core and behind the expansion valve?

I would really appreciate it if someone had a diagram or a picture with it apart.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The expansion valve secures directly to the evap core. When I did mine I had the dash out, you may be able to get it with the glove box out and heater core out. On mine I had to attach the expansion valve and then put the evap core in. For what ever reason I could not get the expansion valve to go on once the heater core was in place.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
For what ever reason I could not get the expansion valve to go on once the heater core was in place.
Hmmm describe the problems you encountered. Just want to get some more insight ahead of time before I end up breaking something I didnt anticipate on doing.

So in essence I would need to be doing a coolant flush as-well as A/C charge? Not a big deal just curious how related the Cooling & A/C system are related and work off each-other other than the fans. Now that the Robinair COOLTECH 34288 machine is working again I can replace the Evap. Since than ive been using my windows as my A/C
Old 10-04-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone else have experience with their evap? Ripped apart the bottom part of the dash 10 mins ago and the heater core is actually where I expected it to be. I guess when the heater is on the coolant passes through that like a mini radiator. Just not sure I it was a waste since im doing the Evap core & expansion valve.

Quick Reply: Evap Core & Expansion valve