LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant flush woes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:59 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Coolant flush woes...

Hey all. I just finished flushing out the coolant in my '97Z and I started filling it up with coolant. However, when I start it up I get this loud, random noise, like a scratching, scraping, or something. I "think" it's coming from the front-center of the engine which leads me to believe it's the water pump. I accidentally left one of the bleeder valves open too far and ended up getting coolant everywhere. Could coolant on the pulleys/belts cause noise also?

Now, I've heard all sorts of stories about water pumps going out right after a flush, but if this is the case what causes that to happen? I'm seriously hoping that it isn't the pump, so if there are any other items that could've gone wrong here I'd like to hear some ideas; it's not leaking by the way.

Another question on the topic of flushing: I understand you're supposed to keep topping the radiator off as trapped air leaves the system, but how do I top it off when the radiator keeps spitting out coolant while it runs? As it is I've barely got a gallon of coolant in the radiator because it keeps spitting out coolant while it's running.

Thanks in advance, guys...
Old 09-16-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is it overheating? yes coolant on the belts could cause some noise. the usual tell take sign of a waterpump failure if coolant coming from the weephole. and top it off with a perfect funnel (i believe thats what they are called). it screws onto your radiator and you fill it with coolant and it takes whatever coolant it needs from there
Old 09-16-2010, 02:25 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think the car got a chance to overheat because the noises and the barfing of coolant all over the place was pissing me off, so I kept shutting it down.

I've heard of that perfect funnel thing too, but I've read so many threads about people doing flushes and I don't recall anyone having a problem like I do, where the radiator keeps throwing coolant out. I just figured I was doing something wrong...

Quick Reply: Coolant flush woes...