LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

plugs backing out

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plugs backing out

#5 and #7 keep backing out. At least, they did it once before, had my mechanic tighten em, then I went the other day and tightened them again. Now they backed out again I think, because it misses at high load low rpms (that's what it did last time at least after they backed out.) I am going to check them tomorrow. I hope the threads are not stripped. Could I use some anti-seize and would that generally help solve the problem? I can't be bothered to go under the car and tighten those two every two days.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Def. Sounds to me as if the threads in the heads are stripped out a bit. How much torque are you able to put on them? Do they tighten up or is there any indicators of the threads being stripped out?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Launching!

it tightens down. i believe it spun a little but it may have been the 3 in wobble i was using fooling me. it is nice and tight. snug then another 1/4-1/2 turn

i will check it again before i leave work for any spinning / play. i hope the threads are not messed up.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

It should not spin at all once the bolt is torqued down. I believe that your threads are starting to strip out. I would double check and make sure you are getting a decent amount of torque on it (without any spinning) and go from there. Also did you by any chance have the headers off lately? If so you would have to go back through and retorque the header bolts after a couple of heat cycles.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Yeah I should do that. I had them installed early September, never went back to retorque them. They're what, 1/2"?

Also, what I mean was I was turning the socket with the extension without it being snug on the spark plug nut. So I think I was turning nothing, lol.

Once the bolt is torqued it does not spin. It's tight, and won't tighten any more.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know its an Uncle ****** to get on the plugs on these cars, but it has to be done. Go back through and make sure your on the plug and make sure there is a sufficient amount of torque on it.