LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil residue on inside exhaust tip, plugs are clean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Oil residue on inside exhaust tip, plugs are clean?

So I'm trying to figure out where and how my car is losing/using oil. My exhaust tips have an oily residue on the inside, I have a few drops of oil on my garage floor after 2-3 weeks, and at WOT/high RPM, there is oil smoke out the back. Now my spark plugs all are very clean (running E85 and wideband) with NO oily residue or black soot on them, which makes me think it is not burning the oil in the chambers, right? I have 55-80 psi oil pressure as well. Any suggestions, things to check?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hhmmm? does it take out white smoke? my car also leaks since ive gotten it. it works fine. is the oil inside the pipes or outside?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

follow the leak of oil thats what i would do. or idle it for a while in your lot to see if it leaks and where it leaks.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kgkern01
So I'm trying to figure out where and how my car is losing/using oil. My exhaust tips have an oily residue on the inside, I have a few drops of oil on my garage floor after 2-3 weeks, and at WOT/high RPM, there is oil smoke out the back. Now my spark plugs all are very clean (running E85 and wideband) with NO oily residue or black soot on them, which makes me think it is not burning the oil in the chambers, right? I have 55-80 psi oil pressure as well. Any suggestions, things to check?
How many miles on the car? A few drops of oil after 2-3 weeks is not something I would be alarmed about. Ignore that for now and work on the smoke out of the tailpipes. Is it black or bluish? Black is rich, bluish is oil. How heavy is the smoke? Post up a vid?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Smoke only occurs at WOT, and is bluish, car is not running too rich per the wideband, .78 lambda at WOT, which should be fine for E85, although I could probably lean it out to .82 for the winter blend.

I am just puzzled how the spark plugs are clean showing zero sign of oil burning, but the tailpipes have oily residue on inside of them? The only thing that I can think of would be leaky exhaust valve seal?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was smoking at WOT and on occasion, I would get the whiff of burning oil. The back bumper was also getting black. Also saw that my intake was coated with oil on the inside too.

Oil was getting sucked in through the PCV and causing the problem. I installed a catch can and the problem appears to be history. I have not one smelled burning oil, the smoke at WOT is significantly less and there is much less oil in the intake. Plugs never showed any evidence of burning oil BTW.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:55 AM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

oil getting in the motor can be many different thiings.......the most common is what wrd1972 just said with the pcv sucking in oil........it could be that but if its smoking that bad at WOT idk about that..........also bad valve seals can cause the smoke or bad valve guides also.....at worst case scenario its a ring issue.....but idk about that.....

Quick Reply: Oil residue on inside exhaust tip, plugs are clean?