LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How do i eliminate the starter lockout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do i eliminate the starter lockout?

How do I delete the security system from locking out my starter. Happened randomly the other day and i was running late as it was,all i did was unplug the negative terminal, i really dont want it to happen again
Old 11-28-2010, 01:14 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the resistance of the chip in the key, then go to radio shack and get resistor with the same resistance. Solder that to the little 22 ga. wires running out of the steering column. that should cure the issue if it's in the switch or column. Personally I'd call one of the mail order guys and just have them delete the VATS out of the PCM. That'll cure all issues....
Old 11-28-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duh
get the resistance of the chip in the key, then go to radio shack and get resistor with the same resistance. Solder that to the little 22 ga. wires running out of the steering column. that should cure the issue if it's in the switch or column. Personally I'd call one of the mail order guys and just have them delete the VATS out of the PCM. That'll cure all issues....
A tune wont delete that portion of the security system, they can only delete the portion that shuts off the injectors, they cant delete the starter lockout. I had the computer tuned already
Old 11-28-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to remove the relay that is located behind the glovebox. The attach the two larger wire that's lead into the relay. Don't quote me on that completely since it has been a while since I did mine. But I am sure of the relay part and location, just not the wire part.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Background:

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html

How to get the resistor value:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key

Diagram:

http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
Old 11-28-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by litch2004
You have to remove the relay that is located behind the glovebox. The attach the two larger wire that's lead into the relay. Don't quote me on that completely since it has been a while since I did mine. But I am sure of the relay part and location, just not the wire part.
99% Sure you have to ground out one of the wires. Black and yellow seems to be in my memory. Been a while since I had to deal with mine.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just double checked it on shbox website. You connect the yellow and purple wire that was on the relay. This will bypass it all together.

Quick Reply: How do i eliminate the starter lockout?