LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Canton Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Canton Valve Covers

Can you keep your a/c and all with these? They look taller. Also I hear of lots of problems with these? Whats the major issues with them? They look so sweet.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They are notched to clear the alternator, so they fit fine.

I had trouble getting mine to seal so I bought eBay polished aluminum covers instead.

If you're interested, I have a set I'll let go of for cheap, but they need to be polished and I don't have the bolts for them. $100 and they're yours.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I have them. No real issues. Just lately when I am spraying the car, they seem to leak a bit. Too much crankcase pressure with the NAWS. Maybe time for a vacuum pump.. Otherwise I am happy with them.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Mine are fine and have never leaked and I've had them off many times...but I do not have the f-body specific covers...
Old 12-01-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ran canton covers for years with no issues.

The trick is to tack a rubber gasket to the valve cover with silicone first before installing them.

Without doing that they will be a PITA to install because there is no channel for the gasket to sit in, just some short tabs.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, they're HORRIBLE. Went through cork and rubber gaskets, sealed them in every different configuration imaginable, torqued them in every different configuration imaginable, couldn't get them to seal AT ALL. Bought a set of carbon fiber valve covers (stock reproduction, but with no internal bracket/bracing), haven't leaked a drop. Sealed like a dream.
Canton took my used valve covers back with no questions. They know their product's quality is inconsistent.

I noticed you're in Jax. Used to live there, nice place.
My CF valve covers came from Scooter's Performance in Sanford, FL. They're pricey, but very nice and they are near you!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

this really makes me wander if I want these. So many not having the greatest success.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heard the good and potentially bad with these as well. Took a chance for a screaming deal and have had zero sealing issues with cork gaskets.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It could also be the heads I have or that other people have. I've hear that the rails on AFR heads aren't the greatest for sealing with anything else but stock-ish center bolt covers or with SBC covers (AFR's are drilled for both).

Make your own decision, but there's a ton of other choices out there. I know the sheet metal fab valve covers look super-muscle-y, but in my opinion I made a mistake buying them and they're not worth anyone's trouble.
The comment I made about their quality being shaky or unpredictable...is exactly right. My valve covers had a grind spot on them right where they were leaking, and had several other spots. After they weld them up, they grind the high spots on the rail surface by hand, and anyone who's intelligent at all knows this can lead to low spots (grinding too much off due to a human process).
Just be careful with your choice. But, like I said, there's a ton of other choices out there. For the money they want for Canton's, they should be a much better product.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Ran canton covers for years with no issues.

The trick is to tack a rubber gasket to the valve cover with silicone first before installing them.

Without doing that they will be a PITA to install because there is no channel for the gasket to sit in, just some short tabs.
Did mine the same way and they didn't leak either...ran them for a year before going to one that weren't notched
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 AM
hashtagBMW

It's hit or miss on the covers leaking. I have some and they seem ok, albiet my car has run for 15 seconds.

The bolts for the covers if you want an allen head will run you about $15 from Fastenal, ask me how I know.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:08 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Density
It's hit or miss on the covers leaking. I have some and they seem ok, albiet my car has run for 15 seconds.

The bolts for the covers if you want an allen head will run you about $15 from Fastenal, ask me how I know.
Mine came with allen head bolts....Yours didn't??
Old 12-02-2010, 01:55 AM
hashtagBMW

They did and I lost them during the build.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Choppers
Can you keep your a/c and all with these? They look taller. Also I hear of lots of problems with these? Whats the major issues with them? They look so sweet.
I had to send mine back as the rockers were killing them on the passenger side near the alt notch. They cleaned it up and sent it back...all is well now. That's been years ago so hopefully they're producing valve covers that are good to go now.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

I hear only the fabbed alum ones have issues

Quick Reply: Canton Valve Covers