LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Low Coolant light after high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low Coolant light after high rpm

Hi - I'm having a problem with my low coolant sensor light coming on after I get on the throttle a little. Originaly the light stayed on all the time. I replaced the sensor and it was fine for a couple months and then the current problem started. I have since exchanged/warranty the sensor and am still having the problem. The coolant levels are fine and I have bled the air out of the system (as far as I know). The collant appearede to be clean and in good shape when I partialy drained it to change the sensor. Any ideas?

PS- It would drive me crazy if I just disconnected the coolant level sensor so please don't suggest that.

Its a 94 TA LT1
Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Nothing to lose by revisiting the bleeding. I've had the best luck with the front end elevated (just on plain old ramps). 'Burps' the rear coolant passages and lets and air pockets in the block move to the front. The water pump is cam-driven, so when you 'get on it a little' you're likely creating enough flow in a not quite full system to trigger the low coolant sensor. And you're not likely going to see a problem with it level on the ground. Once you're sure there's no air in the system, move on to the sensor and wiring (sensor is not dirty, wiring is not chafed, etc.)
Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Awesome - I will have to jack the front up and give it another shot! Thanks