LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 runs for a few secs then dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 runs for a few secs then dies

its a 96 z28 and its been sitting for a long time with the intake maf and things off of it now when i go to start it it only runs for maybe 5 secs then dies. i unplug the maf and it runs just fine any ideas on the problem? the maf has been sitting uncovered for a few years so im pulling it off tonight and attempting to clean it.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

does it throw any lights before it dies?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VAMPDLIGHT
its a 96 z28 and its been sitting for a long time with the intake maf and things off of it now when i go to start it it only runs for maybe 5 secs then dies. i unplug the maf and it runs just fine any ideas on the problem? the maf has been sitting uncovered for a few years so im pulling it off tonight and attempting to clean it.
you already answered your own question, unplugging the MAF forces the PCM into running the engine in speed density mode. I doubt cleaning the maf will help, but for what they cost, its worth a try. If you do buy a new maf dont waste you time on any aftermarket maf's because they are a joke and the stock piece works great, and unlike the guys trying to promote their maf's they wont inhibit horsepower unless your making absurd amounts of power.