LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Dump

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Dump

So I put some gas in the car after having nearly an empty tank and only added about 5 gallons of 89 octane fuel. Now the car runs like dirt. Shortly after start up, it idles high, then low, then lurches for air and gas, then dies. I can get it stay at an idle after sitting for a few hours, but when I actually put it in drive and step on the gas, it lurches and dies again and I can't start it back up for a few hours. I am 98% sure that the problem is bad gas.

With bad gas being the case, I am a super newb and don't have many tools. Can anyone give me any ideas of how to drain the bad gas? I've read that syphoning out the gas is pretty much a no-go unless I use a tiny diameter tube. Is there a way to have the fuel pump kick it out? Any other options??

----
95 Firebird Formula A4
Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

go to home depot..........buy a 5/16" hose get a screwdriver flip up the flap and stick the hose down the filler neck........buy a 5 gal container......grab a beer and sit there and watch it go.........hold the flap up with the screwdriver and pull the hose out when ur done........it works ive done it a million times on my car
Old 04-11-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another method is running a jumper wire from the battery (+) to the fuel pump prime connector, disconnect the fuel line in the rear, and drain it into a bucket. The fuel pump prime connector is the single lead coming out of the engine harness on the passenger side, located near the AC box/lines (it looks like it should plug into something).
Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Another method is running a jumper wire from the battery (+) to the fuel pump prime connector, disconnect the fuel line in the rear, and drain it into a bucket. The fuel pump prime connector is the single lead coming out of the engine harness on the passenger side, located near the AC box/lines (it looks like it should plug into something).
true good idea too

Quick Reply: Fuel Dump