Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help-T56 Issues in Germany-SOLVED

Thanks in advance
I'm stationed in Germany, so access to shops is difficult
The car is 97 LT-1 Camaro, T-56, mileage is 52K
Spec 3 clutch (over 6 years old, put about 15k on it) installed by previous owner, I have been driving this combo for the last 10-15k
All stock hydraulic
Hydraulic fluid is at the correct level and not to dirty
T-56 had a recent oil change
Car is street driven
Has no visible oil leaks

The following problems have recently started and are progressive in nature T.
1. Today , started car in Neutral, shifter would not go into any gear (as if the gates did not even exist)r. Shut off car, was able to get it into first with some resistance. When car is started in gear there is a momentary surge(car strains to as if something is locked together) and a sound of something disengaging(bang/pop) and car finally goes (1st only).
2. Car was driven into a gas station, when engine was shut off in neutral, heard a loud clunk (foot not on clutch), like a collision of PP and clutch. After that Symptom #1 happened again.
3. Sometimes, when in reverse and trying to go, started to get sever “marbles in can” with a felt resistance in allowing the car to go backwards. The car drove great once I got it going after starting it up in first gear
Car shifts fine under full power thru all gears, so slipping
I do not hear any unusual noises, grinding or rubbing
I do get the aftermarket clutch chirp sometime
Clutch pedal feels is like always (slightly tough) and disengages on the high side

1. Could this be an issue with the throw out bearing??
2. Could this be an issue with hydraulics system (slave, etc)??
3. Some issue with clutch??At this time I have not be under the car to check.
What do you think??

Update:
Trans finds all gears with clutch not pushed in (pedal), did hear someting ratteling when I did push the clutch in.

Last edited by 88irocarmy; 05-23-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

I have a feeling your clutch disk is beginning to fall apart. Try checking that out, it doesn't seem like your hydraulics are messing up. Gonna have to do some inspection to figure it out though, if it is your clutch disk falling apart the clocks ticking! Just my .02

Joe
Old 05-02-2011, 03:11 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Sounds like the clutch is just about done, if not there already.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Time to pull it out..
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies,
For some reason I keep thinking its the hydraulics or someting has unseated(loose transmission mount, bell housing, loose flywheel bolts), that might be wishful thinking.

Today, with the car off, it will go into every gear. With the car started, pedal in, also went into all gearss, However I did hear a loud rattle/loose item sound when the clutch pedal was pressed in (one time).

The writing is on the wall, I have to pull the trans...arrggghh
Old 05-02-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

Parts of the disk are loose and starting to fall off, making the noise only when its separated because nothings holding it together in a solid piece. Time to pull that sucker! Good luck!

Joe
Old 05-03-2011, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

At this point all you can really do is pull the transmission and take a look. You can send pics of the part to me for examination if you like, and I will be happy to let you know what I see. If you do need something else parts wise I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch/Disk. Pulling the trans is what I would do. Make sure you get flywheel resurfaced. I have a factory service manual for 1994, should be the same thing. Let me know if you need any pages. I'm in the Army Reserve, glad to help out a fellow soldier.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I would highly recommend not driving the car while the clutch is like this. It reads like whatever condition the clutch is in is dragging which is very hard on trans syncros. As already suggested, time to take the trans off and see what's going on.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies
Its still weird that once ther car gets going there aren't any noticeable signs of a problem. But the ones that I have are progressively getting worst

However, I just going to order everything for a clutch swap. Since it takes atleast 2 weeks to get anything here. That way once I remove the trans I will have the parts on hand.

I'm looking at the SPEC stage 2+ with new flywheel at this time. In Germany the do not machine down any parts (flywheels, rotors).

I assume it would be a good idea to also change out the rear main seal, do I need special tools for that process.
Thanks again

P.S. Bin Laden enjoy your nap
Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

What I did was take a small flat-head screwdriver and tapped it against the seal with a mallet, which bent the outer metal of the seal enough to get a good hold with the flat-head and it will just pry out.

Joe
Old 05-03-2011, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the dust cover and see if you have pcs of the disk loose in there
Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 about the clutch. Mine acted very similar a few years back and when I pulled the inspection cover I found pucks or chuncks of the clutch surface laying at the bottom of the bellhousing. Check here first and see what you find.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Well I finally took the trans out. At first everything looked fine and I thought that maybe I just had the master go out. But once the clutch disk was pulled out the springs hit the floor. Seems that one of the spring set seperate from the disk.
The old clutch was Spec 3 with Aluminum flywheel. The new one is a Competition Clutch Stage 2 wih SPEC billet steel flywheel. So far the clutch is very smooth with very good manners. Still breaking it it.
I want to thank everyone here for the info and SPEC (Sponsor)/Competition Clutch for the great service

Quick Reply: Help-T56 Issues in Germany-SOLVED