LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

optispark trouble advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default optispark trouble advice

ive dealt with these a couple time before and recently the needle on my rpm gauge was jumping all over the place and car was running like crap. being that the needle was jumping eradically i knew it was the optic sensor in the optispark also check the spark timing on my f.a.s.t computer and it was jumping too and its wired seperate from the rpm gauge. anyways after taking it apart i found the 2 torx screws in the rotor fell out and kinda screwed some stuff up in the cap so i put the screws back int and made sure every thing was lined up and good and it still has the problem so i think the sensors going bad. also after buying a reman distributor from autozone i notice it was cast and my old one was machined and the sensor wasnt Mitsubishi pointing to it being a after market one. the main problem is the stub shaft and the piece the hub shaft would push into on the distributor are one piece on this after market distributor leaving me no stub shaft for the autozone reman. so it there a place i can get these?
Old 05-06-2011, 05:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're trying to put a bandaid over a gunshot wound. Cut your losses with that POS reman opti and get a new AC Delco.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Teching In

ive also looked into efi connections cam and crank sensor in there custom timing covers or just getting a timing chain cover out of a 97 and using the crank sensor to run bank injection with wasted spark but both those would leave me running new ceramic tip wires and buying new coil packs and taking a lose on the new msd coil and cd ignition i just bought. and i didnt wana get a real high end one like msd cause that just too much money and im not convince there that much different. but im not sure if ones like the accel your talking about come with that stub shaft which is the main problem ive having
Old 05-06-2011, 05:29 AM
Teching In

id like to switch to coil but it seems like kinda a big project and for now i just wana get by for a summer or 2. car doesnt see snow or rain so id kinda like to find a stub shaft any advice or ideas would make me happy though cause im kinda in a rut

Last edited by scorpiansniper; 05-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: optispark trouble advice