LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

noises from tranny or rear???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noises from tranny or rear???

What causes the whining tranny and or diff noise all my 6spd cars have had it and I wanna know if I could fix it? Anyone have this? When I'm leaving a dead stop it makes a grinding noise until I get it up to around 10mph? Any clue on what this is?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Grinding i dont know... but constant whining i'd say your bearings are shot. That is if it's from the rear, tranny could be another issue. Has your current car or past ever had the rear seal go on it?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

hey i have the same grinding noise in the rear end but mine docent go away... and i found out that the cup and bearing are bad so have to replace them.....
Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MuddyBird
What causes the whining tranny and or diff noise all my 6spd cars have had it and I wanna know if I could fix it? Anyone have this? When I'm leaving a dead stop it makes a grinding noise until I get it up to around 10mph? Any clue on what this is?
I get the same exact grinding on take off as you do. Sound kind like change sliding around in the console. I can really hear it when going through a drive-through with the sound echoing off the wall. Ive been told its normal in these cars. I dont get any whining though once Im up to speed. My noise seems to have gotten worse though when the clutch started slipping. Im interested if it will go away once I replace the Throwout and pilot bearings.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Yea I hear it like crazy in the drive through lmao...
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

I think my noise was exactly like that change sliding in the console but only for a couple seconds between 0-10 mph from a stop in 1st. Wasn't too loud but noticeable. Only had the car for a month then the clutch went out.... Replaced it but I always wanted to know what the noise was. Only have about 500 miles on the new clutch, no noise. I think it was the throwout bearing, but I'm completely guessing.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

The change sliding sound should be the T/O bearing. The whining is your rear end. Its the curse of the six speed f-body.

Quick Reply: noises from tranny or rear???