LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Brake Light problem. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake Light problem. Help!!

ok my brake lights do not work. I did nothing to the car. They just stopped working. got pulled over by the Navy base police. I replaced all the bulbs and still nothing. Heres what works and what doesnt

~ All turn signals work. front and rear. (rear bulb is the same bulb for brake lights. dual filament)

~Third brake light on my spoiler turns on when i hit the brake pedal.

~Daytime running lights work (front)

~ When headlights are turned on all lights work like there supposed to but still no brake lights when pedal is hit. Just the third brake light works. The rear lights work and are dim like there supposed to be they just dont get brighter when pedal is pushed.

~All fuses were checked. all looked good. The ground wire looked clean and was tight..

I dont know what else to do or check. i didnt touch a thing on the car. they just stopped working. I dont get why the third rear brake light works but the main ones dont. Help!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change the wireing harnness to 98-02 and you'll be all set...

from my thread...

97's do have the round sockets and are prone to failure.. i just looked at someone's 97 the other day because we were changing his taillight lense and i was curious...i had taillight issues years ago where things would not light up right or one side would blink sequentially instead of together and the other side would go out when the brakes were applied while the right side blinker was on... i called a used parts place asking about a 93-97 taillight harness and they told me that they suck and that a 98-02 3057 socket harness is a direct swap.. so i went and bought one and am going on 3 years of no problems other than one of the used bulbs they gave me burnt out after a year or so.

FWIW i bought my used harness at trans am creations in miami, fl for $35 w/ bulbs. their website is

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/

I dont see them on their site but i dont think they ever were.. they usually have a bunch of them, you just would need to call them and ask.. they do ship
Old 06-11-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Well I just replaced the brake light switch that mounts in front of the brake pedal. Now the brake lights work sometimes but most of the time they still dont come on. If I remove the switch from the mounting point the lights always work. As soon as i mount it they stop working. Im so confused.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you make sure to adjust the brake switch properly?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

yes i did make sure it was adjusted. When i have it off the mounting bracket and the button isnt pushed in the lights stay on, like there supposed to(as if i was pressing the pedal). Then when i would put the switch where it goes by the pedal and press the brake pedal so that the button isnt puhsed in they dont work.

As soon as i put the switch in place where it mounts at the pedal something changes and the lights stop working. its so irritating. I just dont get why they stop working as soon as i mount it.

Quick Reply: Brake Light problem. Help!!