LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Few questions before servicing my lt1

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions before servicing my lt1

Will my 160 tstat reallyyyy add 20 HORSES with just this one modification!? Just like the website says!? Just kidding lol...
The plans are, installing a new CAI & jegs elbow. A 160 tstat for the tune down the road. Replacing the coolant level sensor, drain plug (it's leaking) and draining the entire cooling system. The system has dye in it to find my leak and i just don't like it in there any more

1. While I have it apart this much i'm going to take the pulleys off and attempt to re grease the bearings hoping this fixes my squeaking without replacing them. What grease is best for this? I read somewhere lithium grease is ok but that's not what that purple ish packing grease i've seen before is, is it?

2. Again while it's apart this much should i go ahead and replace the knock sensor or is this something best not to bother with if it isn't giving me problems?

3. Anyone know the right part # from autozone for the drain plug? I can just take it in once out but i like to have things all at once for the project. They don't have it listed right and i went through this with my ls1 trying to get the plug in for 10 minutes

Last edited by 02v8ta; 06-14-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
1. While I have it apart this much i'm going to take the pulleys off and attempt to re grease the bearings hoping this fixes my squeaking without replacing them. What grease is best for this? I read somewhere lithium grease is ok but that's not what that purple ish packing grease i've seen before is, is it?

The bearings in the pulleys (idler and tensioner are the only ones you can change) are sealed. They have to be replaced. They aren't greasable.
The P/S pump, A/C compressor, and alternator don't have replaceable bearings.
Have you tried just replacing the belt with a high-quality replacement? If you've had coolant get on your belt...it will squeak forever until you replace it.

2. Again while it's apart this much should i go ahead and replace the knock sensor or is this something best not to bother with if it isn't giving me problems?

No. The knock sensor either works or it doesn't. If it's not tripping the CEL, no need to change it.

3. Anyone know the right part # from autozone for the drain plug? I can just take it in once out but i like to have things all at once for the project. They don't have it listed right and i went through this with my ls1 trying to get the plug in for 10 minutes
Which drain plug? From the engine block? It's just a standard pipe thread plug. You can get those at any hardware store.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

I think he's talking about the plastic drain plug for the radiator.

I wouldn't replace the knock sensor unless it's throwing a code. I think that's one of those sensors that either working or it's not.

Can't help with ya with the other stuff...
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah the drain plug and thanks guys.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

So the belt really will squeak forever if i got coolant on it?
I think it was doing this prior to the coolant drain previously but i can't remember. Anyway is there like a pulley set replacement available anywhere or where do you guys recommend to get them from? Links?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
So the belt really will squeak forever if i got coolant on it?
I think it was doing this prior to the coolant drain previously but i can't remember. Anyway is there like a pulley set replacement available anywhere or where do you guys recommend to get them from? Links?
There are no bearings that can be regreased. When it squeaks turn it off and remove the belt. Start it back up, if the squeak is still there it may be the water pump. If it is gone shut it off and check the a/c idler pulley, tensioner pulley, alt, and the power steering. They should spin free and smooth. If they check out, then just replace the belt.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are any of the seals on the bearings visible/able to get at? Its a half *** fix but ive fixed a squeaking tensioner that had a sealed bearing just by stabing it with a grease needle and packing some grease into it. Worked like a champ

Quick Reply: Few questions before servicing my lt1