LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

97 t/a opti installed wrong " will it run!!!!"

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 t/a opti installed wrong " will it run!!!!"

Ok so I've been battling a rough idle and stumble at accelerailtion for a few weeks since an ac delco opti replacement.
It runs fine at wide open throttle. The idle sounds like the timing is way off.

I had it scanned by a friend and he said at idle it was between. 27*-29* timing I have no clue if that helps or not.

I read a bunch of post some say it wont run at all if installed wrong with my year opti. Another post there were people arguing on wether it would.

I really don't want to pull the opti back off if I don't have to. The other thing that was weird was. My tach reads 1200 rpm and the scan tool read around 900 or less.

Please help thanks in advance.
Keith

Last edited by KAMSVT; 06-18-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: bad grammer
Old 06-18-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you installed the pin in the wrong slot of the cloverleaf (drive mechanism on the back of the opti) it definitely will not run. It might pop and fire, but it will not run at WOT (the timing would be off 120 cam degrees.

I would first look at the opti harness connections, plug wire connections, ICM/coil connections.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man thats what I want to hear. i found 2 injectors were plugged in wrong switched them around, drove home and it didnt stumble any off of acceleration seemed to run pretty good but the idle is still high (1200rpm) and seems to hang around 1500rpm after decelerating for couple seconds.This car has a nice sounding cam and i havent heard it in awhile i miss it. the idle still sounds off not just high.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe check the throttle position sensor voltage and throttle body blades to make sure there closing all the way and that its reading proper voltage at idle. check shoebox's website for details

Quick Reply: 97 t/a opti installed wrong " will it run!!!!"