LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can anyone give me opinions on the flowmaster 30 series?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone give me opinions on the flowmaster 30 series?

I will never use an 80 series muffler/system again but the 30 series sounds decent on youtube. Now can anyone give me an actual opinion? The flowmaster system with the 30 series muffler is cheap as hell and i need a cat back at the moment before i can put my full exhaust on I was thinking about the mufflex 3.5 or 4 inch straight through design but that might be ridiculous for my DD, but still sweet to say the least. Just, is the 30 better, and by alot, than the 80?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

I can't attest to the power aspect of it, but my car originally came with the 3" single-out Flowmaster catback that had the 30 series muffler, and personally I loved the muffler from a sound standpoint. It has a sort of hollow sound to it. I used that muffler on two other vehicles after I removed it from my F-body.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

A lot of people read a statement from a person and then runs with the bad advice on the forums, such as calling them slow masters, they restrict but they have no proof, I can tell you on my Forced Inducted Z I was running the 40 series and my car put down 648 RWHP, but it was just too loud for me on the highway so I decided to put on a 50 series for a SUV! it was a lot quiter but still had a great sound at WOT. Well went to the dyno and she still put down the same HP so that told me if Flow master can develop the muffler by making it quieter and still not loose any performance, they must be doing something right. But on another note, this was a long time ago and since, I heard that the flowmasters are made in Mexico now so that could be an issue. Just my experience with those mufflers..
Old 07-10-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go with a complete closed cat-back system and add an electric cutout. Quiet when you want it, loud when you don't.

I have this setup on my car and it sounds great. The ability to be obnoxious versus tolerable while driving is definitely nice.

I ran a Flowmaster for a long time and while I didn't have any complaints about the sound/power, it started to fall apart (separate at the seams) after a few years.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot depends on what follows the muffler. On my 62 Chevy II they were too loud. So I spent the bucks to buy MagnaFlow's and they are loud too, but don't sound as raspy. The Chevy II is 3 inch in and out with short pipes after the muffler. My 95 Z28 has long tube headers into 2 1/2" Flowmasters, it's loud but not anything like the Chevy II.

Al 95 Z28 with Flowmasters
Attached Thumbnails Can anyone give me opinions on the flowmaster 30 series?-dsc00001.jpg  
Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks all, I'm currently still leaning with the 30 series as of now seems like a good budget buy with decent sound. I have thought about the cut out option but know little about them. If i go that route where would the cut out go? Can i put it on my y pipe? or do i need two after each header? Also what catback should i run with it for that mellow tone when needed?

Quick Reply: Can anyone give me opinions on the flowmaster 30 series?