LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Daily Driver Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver Weight Reduction

What are you guys running for weight reduction on your daily drivers? I don't really care about most comforts. A/C is coming out for sure. It doesn't work well and I have better things to spend the money on. Battery is relocating to the *** end. I would like to keep my spare and jack. As long as I can keep street looks I don't care. It's not gonna be my dd for long.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

There is a whole weight reduction thread in the drag racing section
Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Yeah I know. I've read moat of it and I'm aware of what you CAN strip off the car and what all of it weighs etc etc. I'm just wondering what are people doing to their dd's in the weight loss department. Id love to lose 300-400 pounds of **** off my car. Hell I'd lose 500 if it could still look like a pretty stock interior. And I do like to have a radio.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I lost 500 lbs and you cant tell except for the a/c and radio delete panels
Old 09-01-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave357LT1
What did the car weigh before the weight reduction?

Weighed mine at the drags, said something like 3250 lbs., so I got out to see if one of the tires was half off the scale. They were all on, so I moved the car off the scale checked zero and drove back on, same weight. So now I know their scale is broke.

Al 95 Z28, TH400, S60, six point cage, Kirky driver's seat only, no AC compressor, no spare, subframe connectors, UMI tunnel mount and torque arm. The rest is there, had about 10 gallons of gas and I weigh about 180.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Al
What did the car weigh before the weight reduction?

Weighed mine at the drags, said something like 3250 lbs., so I got out to see if one of the tires was half off the scale. They were all on, so I moved the car off the scale checked zero and drove back on, same weight. So now I know their scale is broke.

Al 95 Z28, TH400, S60, six point cage, Kirky driver's seat only, no AC compressor, no spare, subframe connectors, UMI tunnel mount and torque arm. The rest is there, had about 10 gallons of gas and I weigh about 180.
I havnt weighed my car yet but i did weigh everything i took off and wrote it down. I was doing that **** mythbusters style. Im not sure how much a 94 z28 is stock but mine is that minus right at 500. But i need to add SFC so that will add a few lbs
Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dave357LT1
What all did you remove?

I have a convertible, so I can remove all the carpet/sound deadening in the back without it looking disgusting. You cant see in there as long as the truck is closed. I'm losing the AC. I've never had AC and I'm not too interested in it. Guess thats the Mississippi redneck in me. Back seats, they can go. I'll take the spare and jack out unless I'm going on a long trip or something. I was thinking about a lightweight battery, but I'm not sure how that good that works for a DD. I run straight pipes on all my ****, so mufflers and cats are gone. I dont mind spending money to make this thing lighter. I have just started modding it, and suspension is on my list of **** to do so lightweight parts there. Flywheel. Driveshaft. Racing seats in the front. Etc. Just trying to see what others have done and what you all aprove/disaprove of.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just looked at the sticky and removed alot but nothing that would make it look stupid. Front and rear crash bars,complete a.c. system radio, speakers,front sway bar,air bags, got light weight carpet, and alot of other things,
Old 09-02-2011, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

My car weighed just above 3500 on the scale with only the drivers seat and no spare/jack and 3/4 of a tank. The true duals saved a lot of weight as well. My ac is coming out as well as a few other things before the next time I hit the track
Old 09-02-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unless your car is just a track.var taking the air out is stupid and you will regret it if your state gets hot. Driving with your buddys or even to car shows will suck. All for maybe a few tenths if you can drive.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
Unless your car is just a track.var taking the air out is stupid and you will regret it if your state gets hot. Driving with your buddys or even to car shows will suck. All for maybe a few tenths if you can drive.
This man speaks much truff!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Launching!

If my air worked, I would never consider taking it out. But it doesn't. And there is no way I could see myself putting ANY money into fixing the ac. I have so many other things I care about more. After all, its a convertible. If its a nice day, the top is down. I've never had a vehicle that the air worked well in. It just never really bothered me. Plus in about 6 months ill be getting a nice F250 powerstroke so then the z28 will be a second ride. At which point I can rip out LOTS of weight.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive never had air in any of my tows, and the only time i regret it is in August. Its not because of the 100 weather but because the underneath the car gets so hot and radiates heat up through the console and floorboards. But when your moving its not bad.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^
|
Exactly and I have tops so they can come off quickly.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mississippi
If my air worked, I would never consider taking it out. But it doesn't. And there is no way I could see myself putting ANY money into fixing the ac. I have so many other things I care about more. After all, its a convertible. If its a nice day, the top is down. I've never had a vehicle that the air worked well in. It just never really bothered me. Plus in about 6 months ill be getting a nice F250 powerstroke so then the z28 will be a second ride. At which point I can rip out LOTS of weight.

I just realized your from Ms. Where exactly are you from. But like boosted said when you start dropping weight the car is just not going to be fun to drive anymore.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes my car is only a track and fair weather car id never do it to a car driven alot.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to cruise and enjoy it then fix the air and cut the fender supports if your woodier about weight or even better build a bad *** motor..... I have a full weight car that can eat most race cars with my air on with only 7psi. I have taken air off and ended up putting. It back on before the summer was over because I hate to be hot and it much nicer driving 100-200 mile cruise and enjoy the entire trip not the first 2 min only. Just say n man.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Take out the drivers seat...
Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lethal bird
I just realized your from Ms. Where exactly are you from. But like boosted said when you start dropping weight the car is just not going to be fun to drive anymore.
I live in Horn Lake, I'm from Corinth. But I get around. All over the state. Hattiesburg, Grenada, Senatobia, Tunica, etc, etc.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 96TransAmboosted
If you want to cruise and enjoy it then fix the air and cut the fender supports if your woodier about weight or even better build a bad *** motor..... I have a full weight car that can eat most race cars with my air on with only 7psi. I have taken air off and ended up putting. It back on before the summer was over because I hate to be hot and it much nicer driving 100-200 mile cruise and enjoy the entire trip not the first 2 min only. Just say n man.
Like I said, I know everyone likes their air, but I grew up poor. We didnt have air in cars when I was a kid. Haha. I had air in my first f body, and I never used it. Then I started using it, had to because the window motor went out, it quit workin. That was miserable. A sauna. But anyways, air doesnt matter to me. I've driven this whole summer in 100+ degree heat no complaints. I've even went on several 200 mile trips and a couple 400+ mile trips. Air doesnt really interest me.

On the build a bad *** motor thing, I plan on it. Its in the works. N/A or boosted, I havent decided yet. Suspension and stuff comes first. Hopefully by the time I get all the suspension work done, I will have made up my mind on that situation. Either way, the car is going on a diet, especially since I plan on road racing it. Drag racing is fun too, but the twistys are much more fun.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Weight Reduction