LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition issues need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition issues need help!!!!

hey fellas, so i have been on a hunt to figure out my ignition system. I have been having problems with the car missing and backfiring only under load, i can free rev the **** out of it but as soon as i drive it from 2500 rpm and up its like im holding the 2 step button (i have no 2 step) just spits pops and bangs. now it was time for a new opti so i just changed that today, it was idling fine and all of a sudden it dies, try to start it up and it wont, i mived some wires that connect the coil to the harness and then i tried starting it again and it fired right up, touched the wires and it dies instantly. so i unwraped the wires and looked for a bad connection. found a bare spot and fixed it but car still wont start, im getting power to the coil but the coil is not sparking. is it the coil? or coil module? will a coil make the car rev ok but run like **** under load? never had it happen to me. i dont want to throw parts at it yet. im goin to have to module tested on monday but just dont understand why it would act like that and then just die on me. its an accel coil pretty old, got it in 2002. module is stock. any help would be great
Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Launching!

brand new taylor 10.4mm wires, brand new plugs gapped correctly, checked wires today and no rips or burns.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Launching!

also the old opti i dont think was bad, it had an msd cap and rotor the terminals looked great no water was inside, the rotor was tight. replaced it with an accel one i got for 150 bucks new off CL. this opti is 3 hours old so if im just that unlucky to get one that dies right after i install it then im gunna go hang myself. but im thinkin its the ICM or the coil, those are the only two things that i have not replaced.

Quick Reply: Ignition issues need help!!!!