LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 dying and hesitating

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default LT1 dying and hesitating

This is a buddies 94 Z28, basic bolt ons, 100K miles on it. The car starts up and runs perfect most of the time, no problems, plenty of power, idles great. The car has a cold air, Long tuber, off road Y, a tune, no smog equipment and a Borla cat back. When it's not acting up, it runs great no issues at all and is pretty quick for a bolt on LT1. How ever, recently, it'll be running great and then all of a sudden you try to give it gas and it's start stumbling really bad, a few of the times it'll act like it's trying to hunt for an idle speed and then it eventually dies. Let it sit, starts back and either runs like nothing happened, perfectly normal or it'll die again, let it sit, start for a few minutes act up and then die again. The car isn't throwing any service engine lights when it does all this. We had the ICM tested, it came back fine. I guess next step would be to hook a fuel pressure gauge up and see if it has normal fuel pressure when it's acting up. Any one have similar issues? I am wondering if the stock fuel pump could be on it's way out, because he said he let it cool down, and it ran again, if the pumps dying I could see it being allowed time to cool down and it working again.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen that a vacuum leak can cause similar problems along with the IAC
Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

My buddy as a 94 z and when u have it WOT it's fine but then the car dies and will start like 15 later and run great until u do it again no idea sounds kinda related
Old 10-10-2011, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

It's really easy to diagnose a vacuum leak just spray carb cleaner around the intake gaskets while engine is running and if the revs jump you have a leak

Quick Reply: LT1 dying and hesitating