LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Pump dead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump dead?

It's been about a year since I bought the racetronix/walbro pump, but my car hasn't run in 8 months. Probably less than 2000 miles on the pump.

Just cranked it up Monday night, then again Tuesday, and again today and getting plenty of pressure at the rails. I killed the engine, then went to crank it back up and it wouldn't start. Turned the key on and didn't hear the pump. I jumped it using the fuel pump prime connector and still nothing.

Does this mean the pump just burned out or could there be another culprit? The car is a 93 and the motor/harness is a 95. Doesn't the connector bypass the relay?

Last edited by mguidry629; 10-20-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Anybody have any ideas? The pump was running nice and quiet, no problems what so ever, then I turned the key off to kill the motor, waited a few seconds and turned it back and the fuel pump is not priming or anything.

The prime connector was working the other day because I used it to empty the tank of old gas. So I know I have a good connection, but does it bypass the relay or not?

If I get under the car and get to the harnesses by the rear, how can I test it to confirm if it's the pump?

I know the relay is under the driver kick panel. Should you hear it click when the key is turned on?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put power to the grey wire in the Racetronix harness to pull in the relay, or remove the Racetronix relay & jump the 2 large red wires in the Racetronix harness.

I'm assuming you have the Racetronix wiring harness, if not you should have.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got a NIB walbro 255 and harness kit for 200 shipped if you end up needed one.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

It was working when I first cranked it today, then after a few cranks the fuel pump quit working again.

I verified the fuel pump is working by jumping the relay. So I thought the relay was bad. I grabbed the relay off of my parts car and still not working, so I guess it's not the relay. I jumped 30 to 87 on the relay and pump is running strong with the ignition on.

So now that I know the fuel pump is working and it doesn't appear to be a bad relay, what else could it be?

Yes, I have the racetronix harness. Any other suggestions? Need help before I
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

I guess I should also mention that the pcm is throwing codes 16, 41,42,51. I think that's them. I can confirm later, but I'm concerned now that I blew the pcm somehow (51). It was running fine and the car killed like someone turned the key off. That's when it threw all 4 of those codes.

Now I can't read or program the pcm either.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

Just to update for those folks searching in the future with similar problems:

It appears I fried my pcm. I have a 94 buick roadmaster pcm that I plugged in just to see if that could be the problem. I switched the key on and the fuel pump is priming and I'm able to read and communicate with my laptop, so it's obviously something with the pcm. I didn't crank it because the pcm's not tuned and it's an EEB pcm so I can't just load my tune on it (I don't think).