LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

water pump vs water pump & opti

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM
LTX
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default water pump vs water pump & opti

hey took apart and found the problem to my water pump fail. i striped the water pump drive sleeve and need to replace the water pump its self also but while im at it should i replace my opti also?? when it goes bad soon i dont want to have to take the water pump out again unless its broken. the opti had cap and rotor replaced 20k miles ago so would it be a good idea and refresh it?? i know the saying if it aint broke dont fix it but i like to do things ahead of time.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 285k out of one of mine and on the other the motor spun a bearing at 189k and the opti was still functional.

IF you decide to do it, do it right and replace all the seals in the timing cover. Use an AC DELCO OR A DELPHII UNIT! I always take thme apart and loctite the rotor screw. I then seal the two orings with liberal amounts of THE RIGHT STUFF gasket maker. When you tighten down the screws it will squish out and I use my fingers to basically ice the outside of the opti as if it were a cake making sure it has an even layer 360* I allow it to fully dry. While it is drying take the opti connector and get a large dieameter heat shrink about 4" long and the male part that goes into the opti should fit inside this with about 1/4 inch longer on the tubing. Heat only the top end of the tubing so as to make an umbrella over that connector. If you do this you will have a liquid tight opti and will not have to worry about it.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome tip...
Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the Delco unit but I take it one step further and got an MSD cap and rotor kit.