LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car keeps dying

So I was reading that my optispark in my 95z28 could be going out! I'm hoping not! When I bought my z28 the guy before me changes the water pump distributor and wires! Lately my car has been shutting of while driving I changed my fuel filter, fuel reley, ignition coil, bypassed vats! Now I'm reading it's the optispark! I don't want to pay that money is there any other possible problem I'm losing my mind I just want to drive my camaro! Any help will be appreciated
Old 11-01-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Does it die right away? Or after warming up? Will it start right back up or do you need to wait a few minutes ? Did he completely change it out or just the cap & rotor? If even one thing is off with how he installed it could have gone bad already and now you need another. Have you verified youre getting fuel ?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Teching In

No it does not die right away! I can warm it up for 10 min drive for a whole day and it will die or I can drive 10 min and it will die! And when it does die it will start right back up and die but if I do wait 5 to 10 min it will run fine!! I don't know if he did just cap and rotor or everything! Bought in Oregon drove back to the bay area! Drove it the whole time even to Vegas and back till this started happening! It ran fine till this!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

The opti is possible but hard to say for sure. If you can get the car to do it (try warming it up & driving it until it acts up ) then pull a spark plug wire, start it and see if you're losing spark. Or get a spark pulse indicator.

A simple problem might be the icm, ignition control module located right near the coil. Most auto stores can test them and if yours is bad that would cause your problem. Make sure the store test it at least 4 times though. Sorry if any of this seems short I'm on my phone.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Teching In

It does have spark! When it happend I tested the plug wire and got a good shock out of it!! That is what I was going to change next!! It's all good for the short answer! I hope that works! Is there any thing else that would cause it to cut off!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Any codes?
The ICM could be getting to hot. Try the ICM cooling mod.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

I had been having the same problem and it would shut down and sputter before it died. Mine would back fire, shut off all of the sudden etc etc. Well i had 2 wires that were not all the way sitted on the spark plug and one had fallen off. So with that being said go through ALL the wires and make sure they are nicely sitted in the spark plug and the distributor. Last owner might have missed the little details.

Oh yeah and check and make sure your spark plugs are all the way in and not cross threaded. Never ever ever ever ever have your father in law help on an lt1. Mine cross threated 1 spark plug. Good thing the autozone thread repair tool got it fixed...Good luck...keep us posted cause your results can always help another fellow member with their problems. :beer:
Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awhile back mine did the same to me drive all day then it would die, would crank and it wouldn't start. I would wait 2-3 min fire right up like nothing. I replaced the fuel pump relay behind the drivers kick panel 15.00 part. Hasn't don it again in 4 months...but i have been having problems lately with a fuel pump that i posted about that would have pressure then not. So i replaced it no problem so far.my suggestion is the net time it dies leave the key on and check fuel pressure, when u turn it off then on it will reprime, it could be intermittent.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Yea I will keep you posted! I'm going to check all the wires today and see if any are burnt or getting hot also!! I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the power on and I also had the fuel pressure gauge on my lt1 while I was driving and watched the pressure It was perfect no flaws! So I'm going down the list and knocking out parts 1 by 1!!

Also my does not sputter b4 it dies! But when it starts right up and I try to go it will act lime it's running out of gas!! What could that be! I believe there is a fuel issue! Also how do I check codes??

Quick Reply: Car keeps dying