LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

is my opti damaged?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is my opti damaged?

here are my issues....

everything is fairly new on my 383 build, 7k miles on this build and havent had too many issues.

i thought i was having fuel pump issues. stock pump 150k miles. When i try to start the car it will attempt to crank for 6-8 seconds before starting / or / i cycle the fuel pump 4-5 times, it will start instantly.

Sputters at more than 50% throttle. All things point to fuel pump to me but...

I was crawling under my car just checking things out today and i noticed the 3 bolts that bolt the opti to the timing chain are loose, and i can wiggle the opti in place.

I also have some oil in my timing chain area from where i guess one of the seals is leaking..

I am worried some of this oil may have gotten on my opti that was loose. I plan on taking everything apart, replacing my timing chain cover seals and using some threadlocker when i re-bolt up my opti.

how can i clean my opti / tell if it has been damaged?
Do you think its the opti causing the sputter at 50% throttle plus, and not the pump?

plugs, wires, ignition coil, injectors, everything you can think of is new / in good condition. and i have has this sputter issue for about 3 weeks now which is kind of wierd for a pump to start going out but still last that long.

thoughts, suggestions, insults?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Disassemble the Opti (real easy) and clean the wheel and the pick-up with "Contact Cleaner" that doesn't hurt plastic. Always try the cleaner first on some scrap plastic. Since it's been wobbling around, make sure there is no play in the bearing. It'll last another 150,000 miles.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you haven't done this before, so this should help.
I bump the engine till I have TDC on cylinder number 1, then start my tear down. Drain coolant, then remove fan shroud. Next I break loose the hub bolts, then remove the belt. The water pump is ready to remove next. I remove the spark plug wires from the distributor, marking them or using spark plug wire labels. Then I take off the cap, and note the position of the rotor. I believe it will be pointing almost straight up. Remove 3 bolts holding the hub and remove the hub, you may need a 3 jaw puller. Now you can remove the 3 bolts holding the opti on, carefully remove the connector at the top of the opti and then remove the opti. Check and replace seals as necessary. The cap is allready off, so you can disassemble the opti. Reassemble after cleaning. By doing this and putting the opti on with the rotor in the same direction, it is almost impossible to put the opti back on incorrectly.

hth

andy schuck

Last edited by andysc; 11-17-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added more desriptions
Old 11-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Teching In

i appreciate the info guys.

i know how to change it, ive changed quite a few, but i have always replaced them and never tried to clean the one i was taking off.

just wanted to know some cleaning tips / signs of damage before i put it back on. - and opinions on whether my sputtering / starting issues sounded fueling related or spark related
Old 11-18-2011, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO buy a $90 CMS opti and try it. If it does the same thing, its not the opti and you have a spare.