LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Buddy's 96 LT1 Transam Over Heating

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy's 96 LT1 Transam Over Heating

Earlier this year my buddy was driving his 96 Lt1 Transam. The story he told me is while he was driving he noticed the car was starting to smoke, and he looked at the temp gauge and it was in the red, so he pulled over and shut the car off. The car was towed to his house, I guess the radiator hose was cracked so the put a new one on and flushed the old fluid out and put new in, now the car runs for a few minutes and starts to over heat again.

I was thinking maybe a bad head gasket or possibly even a warped head? Any ideas?

He is already frustrated with the car, its got a bad miss in it, he has already replaced the plugs and wires and it still has a misfire.

I don't want to sound like a *** to him, but he got took on this car. Its a 96 Transam, bought it last year from a used car lot, paid almost 7k for it. Had 140k+ miles when he bought it, and he has had nothing but problems. he took his door panel off on the drivers side the window was being held up by a piece of wood. I can tell the car has been wrecked because the paint on the front fender does not match the paint on the rest of the car ( if you look at it close you can tell a difference ). Plus its a automatic and were the shifter is that plastic thing that moves with the shifter when u select the gear, that is busted, so that makes me think that someone had to really pull back hard for what ever reason to get it in gear.

I feel bad for him, he really doesn't know much about cars. He did take it back to the car lot and tried to have them fix some of the problems, and they were really rude with him and told him basically its not there problem.

Lets just say this much, he is so fed-up with this car he told me if someone walked up with 1500 cash he would let it go.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would say head gasket an the mis fire is cause by water getting in places where it shouldn't head gasket not that big of a deal to fix just takes time and knowing how and what to do
Old 11-20-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Make sure all the air is out of the system or it will over heat also .
Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

There are a million things that could cause a car to overheat. Need more details.

Did you bleed the system? Do it again.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Miss fire can be caused if the leak was slow before it finally let go and got on the opti . If it did most likely the opti is junk .
Old 11-21-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. He got had. I would either make the best of it and start finding cheap replacment parts and try and sell it or just let it go and move on. 7K is retarded. I would light it on fire and drive it into the sales mans home. Head gaskets are not to bad to do your self but if the heads warped or even cracked then the problems could start to mount more then they have already.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Arrow

You guys are way to quick to jump right to the most labor intensive, expensive fix. What about checking for Co2 in the radiator? There is a tool for this but if you dont have access...take the radiator cap off and it would smell like exhaust...if its a head gasket.

Car with that many miles, could be a lot of things. First thing I would do is check the water pump...assuming its stock? Should be able to touch hoses and feel the water pump with the car running and tell if water is moving...should see water disturbance in the radiator too. The absolute first thing I would do though...is pull the thermostat.

Guys...check the low lying fruit first....cheap/easy stuff...might be suprised.

7k? :o

Quick Reply: Buddy's 96 LT1 Transam Over Heating