LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Quick easy valve cover question :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick easy valve cover question :)

Just a quick question. I've currently got a pair of tall polished center bolt SBC valve covers on my 93 Z28. I have the full Speed Inc alt/ps relocation so the alternator notch isn't a problem anymore. Now on these covers, I have the hole on the drivers side for the oil filler, which I'm using a breather in, and the passenger side has the hole for the tube that goes to the throttle body.

I want to buy a new set of fabricated covers that look incredible, but they don't have any accessory holes in them, just the bolt holes. So I know by using these I will lose my breather / oil fill spot, and I'm not worried about it. But on the passenger side will I be OK losing the vent tube that goes to the TB? Sorry I'm not sure what the official name for it is.

The other thing is on my current covers, they came with baffles in the accessory holes. The new ones obviously have no baffles since they have no holes. What is the purpose of those baffles and will I be ok without them?

Basically will I be ok running these new covers? There really isn't any reason for switching other than cosmetics.. they just look so badass. They are identical to the Canton fab'd covers, only incredibly affordable
Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

If the new vc's have no holes how are you going to vent the engine? You would have to drill and gromet a new hole for venting purposes whether it be a simple breather or for your PCV system. Even a healthy engine experiences blow-by.
A baffle is there to impede oil vapors (as best as it can) from entering into the breather tube and into your TB. Doesn't always work. Some baffles are better than others, however that is indeed its purpose.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see. So would I be better off just drilling 2 holes with grommets and using breathers? Ditching the TB hose all together and using breathers on both sides?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the stock PCV system. It does fine for most any application. Only reason to do breathers is if you want to be rid of the PCV system. Whatever the case may be, you need to let the innards of that engine vent.