LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Should I Pull Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Pull Engine?

I bought a 1997 WS6 M6 thats bone stock with 107,000 miles. It has so much oil on the front of the motor including opti, I cant tell if it is just the intake or intake and timing cover gasket or gaskets. I tried to get it as clean as possible but there was just too much oil. The oil pan also looks to be leaking in the rear some. I had a clutch installed 4 months ago and the rear seal was replaced, or at least they said they did. I have pacesetter long tube headers and ORY to install along with a magnaflow catback. Do you think with all of this to do it would be worth pulling the motor and tranny, fixing my leaks, installing my parts, and rolling it back under or working with motor in. I will have to recharge AC if I pull but oil pan and rear seal would be a breeze. I have pulled LT1's before so I am leaning toward pulling but would really like to hear some opinions. Thank you for any advice.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're looking at a lot of down-time to pull the motor just for a few minor things, so consider how valuable your time is.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably wouldn't pull the motor.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't pull motor
Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to make sure I was being clear on the work I need to do.

I have to pull intake and reseal it.
I have to remove egr and air for headers.
I have to remove exhaust manifolds and pipes for headers and catback.
I have to pull front cover and install all three gaskets and seals,
I have to replace the oil pan gasket which is what makes me lean toward pulling the engine. After I loosen the k-member bolts and pull motor mount bolts to lift the engine enough to remove the pan, its almost pulled. I do not like trying to replace oil pan gaskets without pulling the pan because of all the crap that falls in the pan when you scrape the old gaskets.
I also do not know if the transmission shop installed the felpro rear seal I ask them to, so if I need it, I have to pull engine or drop tranny.

I respect your opinions very much and thank you for the replies, I just wanted to make sure I was clear on what I need/want to do. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bandit
I have to replace the oil pan gasket which is what makes me lean toward pulling the engine.
The oil pan gasket is rubber and can stretch and can fit around the outside of the pan. No reason to drop pan completely and no reason to drop motor for any of the other things.

Quick Reply: Should I Pull Engine?