LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car starts, but will not turn off when key is removed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starts, but will not turn off when key is removed

Hi there

This problem started yesterday, was driving the car and parked it, turned the key to the off position, and the car remained running. Can remove the key from
the ignition lock, doesn't matter. I have to dump the clutch with it in a high gear to stop the engine. Not my way of doing it, but the only way for now. The car has 271k on it, replaced the ignition lock about two years ago from Chevy dealer. So is it the ignition switch, ignition lock or something else. Car starts fine. Even with key turned to off position and key removed, dash lights are on like the ignition lock is in the run position. Will not be able to look at this further till saturday, the 18th of august.

tia
andy schuck
Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better go ahead and pull the battery so you don't run it down.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

143 looks and 1 reply and that is to pull the battery??? Yes I am disconnecting the battery at work and when I get home, guess that no one has seen this problem before.

tia

andy schuck
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe the insulation on some of the wires got rubbed through by the tilt wheel and something's shorting out in there.

Best advice I can give you is get out your multimeter and dig in. Start tracing wires, checking voltages, ohms, etc. Make sure everything is hooked up and nothing is shorting out. You have a 94 so shbox.com should have all the wiring diagrams you need. If you don't know how to read them, now sounds like a great time to learn. So reach down, grab ahold of them, and dive on in.

Last edited by DisasterFormula; 08-15-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the advice, was hoping someone had a similar problem before. I work alot of hours during the week, so don't need to work all weekend on this.

oh well will let you know what happens

tia

andy schuck
Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know exactly how you feel. 60 hour work week and then spend all weekend swapping the Opti and troubleshooting the no-start.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Could be the ignition switch (lower part of the column) or it's adjustment.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this actually happened to me before it blew my mind. we had it up on th alignment rack and i shut the key off and my buddy was like u shut it off? and i wipe out the key and show it to him. we were both befuddled. These cars have a mind of there own sometimes. It ended up having somthing to do with the starter. One of the older techs took it apart and he said he cleaned it and put it back together and it solved the issue. I couldnt tell u exactly what he did. but its a good place to start. if you can find out cheap enough try replacing the starter.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
this actually happened to me before it blew my mind. we had it up on th alignment rack and i shut the key off and my buddy was like u shut it off? and i wipe out the key and show it to him. we were both befuddled. These cars have a mind of there own sometimes. It ended up having somthing to do with the starter. One of the older techs took it apart and he said he cleaned it and put it back together and it solved the issue. I couldnt tell u exactly what he did. but its a good place to start. if you can find out cheap enough try replacing the starter.
Starter won't have anything to do with an engine staying on. Has to be ignition or computer related since the car is still getting both spark and fuel.

Different from when an old Carb car starts "deiseling" and runs off detonation after shutting down even with no spark.

Quick Reply: Car starts, but will not turn off when key is removed