LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Will a 94-96 Vette motor fit with no mod's and is this the best way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a 94-96 Vette motor fit with no mod's and is this the best way to go?

Hi guys I’m back again since my last thread in 2010. The last time I was here I was trying to figure out if my 5.7 Caprice motor was swapped out for a lower mile 96 Impala SS motor on a project car that I bought, and the previous owner said that he did. I found out it was by finding the Vin Derivative thanks to this site and at the same time I was in the process of changing the Timing Chain (High Performance), Opti, Plugs, Wires, Custom Headers, MSD Ignition Coil, Custom Cold Air Intake (was thinking of changing the Heads & Cam) etc.

This is where it gets bad, I’m no mechanic so a friend of a friend who supposedly was an expert on these engines on F bodies tore it up, and had issues getting to things on it compared to F Bodies because he said the cross-member was removable on F’s so the B Body was too hard to maneuver around. This is after he tore the engine apart, and he even grinded down my oil pan to get it back on for one of the things he was doing. He ended up not coming back after a few days, leaving my engine tore up and most the mechanics I talked to want a lot to put it back together or just plan out don’t want to work on someone else is work, especially how he left it.

Money is tight and I’m thinking of getting a running LT1 motor with low miles since I have all these parts already. My question is, can the Corvette LT1 from 94-96 fit directly in my car with no mod’s and would that engine be better seeing it has aluminum heads, a mild cam, and a few other performance upgrades or were they meant for the Corvette and not a heavy B Body?

If it does fit does it need to be an automatic Vette engine?

Will my custom Impala headers bolt straight on?

Any help would be great, I just want to get this thing back on the road next spring and I have a lot of other things to take care of besides the motor.

Last edited by impalass20; 08-19-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

in short, it will work. You will need to use some of your parts. Your headers will work too. Im not a bbody guy, but an LT1 is an Lt1. the way it mounts into the engine bay may be the major difference, and the accessory drive. but if you have all the parts from the engine that was in the car, it can work just fine.

As far as transmission goes I think your ok with an engine from an auto or a manual, but once again you can use your stock parts to make it work.

Id like to know what condition the current engine is in, and why people are scared to touch it. The money your going to put into a new engine could rebuild the current engine to better specs then a stock vette engine.

You dont need to be a full blown mechanic to build an engine, all you need is the right tools, a brain that can understand a diagram, a very good torque wrench and lots of patience. This forum could help you alot too.

Last edited by trilkb; 08-19-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I pm'd you back

http://shbox.com/ci/cam_removal.html

Alot of the stuff you will need to do will be similar to this if not the same. Im not sure if a bbody engine is really all that different, but we have bbody guys on this site that can hopefully help.

Thats a wonderful site, the guy who made it is a member here and a life saver for many. It has torque specs and more information then you could ask for. This is why I beleive if you can comprehend diagrams and read, you can put your engine back together from where its sitting. Its just nuts and bolts. But forreal, the best tool you can ever buy, and one you will NEED to do this, is a 3/8ths torque wrench. Even if you need to buy a new oil pan and timing cover, its cheaper then a new engine. A socket set is cheaper then an engine too.

the oil pan does worry me, hopefully ******** didnt screw up your oil pickup tube or the sensor.

btw, what started this tear down? just the opti?

Last edited by trilkb; 08-19-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How far is it torn down? And if you aren't too far away, maybe I could help.