LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 tacking noise from under the car only when warm 1400-1600 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 tacking noise from under the car only when warm 1400-1600 rpm

My car has been making some kind of ticking or tacking sound for a while, it kinda sounds like something is smacking... I thought it was an exhaust leak at first but now I'm pretty sure it isn't.
It sounds like its coming from the bottom of the car maybe the oil pan, tranny, or the bottom/midsection of the motor? It only makes the sound after warming up for a few minutes, it will not do it at idle but if I rev it up a little I can definitely hear it but it only happens at at certain rpm range (1400-1600). I tried listening to it with the clutch in and out and it didn't make a difference.
When driving it does it the most when I am cruising and under a load at around 1600- 2000 rpms, if I let off the gas a little bit or hit it a bit harder it goes away. It does it the most when I accelerate slowly at a consistent throttle position.
I haven't felt any power loss or missing or anything, and my oil pressure is about 35-45 at warm idle.
I was just under the car trying to pinpoint the noise for about 2 hours and could not find anything unusual. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

I took it to a mechanic and he said the cat converter was rattling and needed to be replaced. I pulled the cat and shook it around, I could hear a little bit of stuff moving around so I broke the screen and dumped everything out of it. I made sure there was nothing left in the cat and put it back on the car, but the noise was still there.

IMG 0368 - YouTube

Here is a video of the sound. I had a buddy hold it at 1500 rpm, where the sound is the loudest. If I had him let off or hit it harder the tacking stopped.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U will probably have to get a mechanics stethescope and poke around everywhere, kinda hard to pinpoint a noise from a vid. Goodluck.

Quick Reply: LT1 tacking noise from under the car only when warm 1400-1600 rpm