LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another coolant crossover question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another coolant crossover question!!!

Ok when my motor was built, the builder ran an-crossover hoses across the front of the heads and also the back of the heads to dyno.Now can I just tee the rear lines and leave the fronts? He said he does his circle track motors this way but I doubt theyre reverse cooled.Two reasons for wanting to leave the front hoses on are I like how it looks,and when I tried to take them off it felt like the elbow wanted to brake off in the head( felt like)...thx for any input
Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

You want to leave the back and remove the front for it to work as intended. If you don't want to remove the front, don't remove the back. There is a reason it is at the back and not the front. Coolant is pushed from front to back.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
You want to leave the back and remove the front for it to work as intended. If you don't want to remove the front, don't remove the back. There is a reason it is at the back and not the front. Coolant is pushed from front to back.
Ok I follow you..but will leaving the front cause any sort of flow or hot spot problems? The block is already half filled I don't want to cause anymore cooling concerns.Thx for the help
Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Hard to say if things are flowing right with a crossover on the front.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

The only thing I see with keeping the front is it's in the way of your alternator & bracket on one side and Coil/ignition module on the other.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Lookin at your pics I think I would just install a bleeder in the middle of the front one & call it good Dunno if you can use the stock Heater hose bleeder there or not... But it would seem to help with bleeding the cooling system

Quick Reply: Another coolant crossover question!!!