LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Picking out parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Picking out parts

While this is my first post on here, I am not new to the 3rd gen/4th gen world. I've owned my Z28 for almost 12 years, my IROC for 3 years and my SS for about 6 months. When I bought my Z28, I added an SLP CAI, airfoil and 2OTL...and that was it for powertrain mods. Over time, I've added things like SLP SFCs and an STB, SLP Bilsteins, and most recently EBC drilled/slotted rotors and pads along with fresh 17x9.5 OE Wheels I custom painted white to go with my 30th package, a la 30th SS.

Now that I finally I own an LS1, I admit I can see what I was missing all those years. I bought an LT1 specifically back in the day because I preferred the front end, and I thought 97 was a cool year with the old nose, new dash and being the last year for a "traditional" SBC in a passenger car. I still love the car, but of the 3 its the one I drive the most (not a DD, never has been) and I want more power.

I am looking at stainless LTs, likely a tune, and maybe even getting into heads and cam. For sure the LTs will be happening...assuming I stop there, I assume a mail order tune make sense with my bolt on mods? I did a search comparing PCMForless vs. Madtuner, and it seems Madtuner is preferred. When it comes to stainless LTs, how do Kooks and Stainless Works compare to each other? When its all said and done with my current mods, LTs and a tune, could I be down in the 13.4-13.5 range? I ran a best of 13.96 at 100.8 when I ran the car for my first and only time at the track a year ago. Considering I had 10 year old GSCs on it that didn't hook for crap, I thought I did pretty well.

Thoughts are appreciated...please keep the newbie flaming to a minimum, if you can help it. I've been on cz28 forever...time for me to find a new board. Here's some pics if anyone is interested in my herd...

The Z28 got the ZR1s put on after these pics...
Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have some real nice cars. Asfar as headers, I have Kooks. I would recommend them. I cant speak for SW. I also have PCM 4 less and am happy with it. I would do the LT's and 1.6 rockers w/springs,get her tuned and go from there.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 pedal SS
You have some real nice cars. Asfar as headers, I have Kooks. I would recommend them. I cant speak for SW. I also have PCM 4 less and am happy with it. I would do the LT's and 1.6 rockers w/springs,get her tuned and go from there.
Thank you! I admit I have always been a 3rd gen nut first and foremost, but I admit I'm tired of the build quality, squeaks, creaks, leaks, rough ride and all that goes along with them. I will always keep my IROC, as I looked for 12 years for that exact combo, and its like a brand new 1988. This past spring, I sold a beautiful 34k mile 86 Trans Am I'd restored (sat outside for 5+ years despite the low mileage) and a 27k mile 88 TA WS6 so I could buy the SS from my father. It killed me to sell them, but the constant attention they needed was getting old and I'd chased the SS for years...he was finally ready to sell it (he still has a 9k mile2002 SOM Formula M6 I sold him brand new when I worked for a Pontiac dealership).

I've considered selling the Z a few times over the years, but always managed to hold onto it. I got it when I was 20, and I'm 32 now. Its like a piece of history for me...but as I've been collecting and selling third gens over the years, it took a back seat in the garage. Now I really wanna make it stand out a little. When you're a third gen guy, you're always used to being an underdog in the Camaro world...modding an LT1, I guess I can keep the underdog title

I did a little homework on 1.6 RRs as well...is one brand preferable to others?

Quick Reply: Picking out parts