LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

95 Lt1 Intake Manifold Gasket Replacing

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Lt1 Intake Manifold Gasket Replacing

After taking my car to 4 shops (all of which were completely retarded) I finally found this to be the source of my bogging/sputtering/rough idle/giant puddle of coolant under my car lol. I am probably going to buy the Felpro kit and just do the replacement myself. How long did it take you guys your first time around, how hard was it to get the back bolts undone, and does anyone have a link to the torque specs for said bolts? Any help is appreciated. Also I'm around Chicagoland if you want to come out and help a brother out!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A leaky intake manifold won't leak coolant since the LT1 manifold is dry - no coolant passes through it. Also, very rarely will a leaky manifold cause symptoms other than an oil leak since the leak does not affect the plenum.

I would expand your diagnosis a bit further, but for a first timer fixing the intake manifold leak will take several hours plus a day or so for the RTV to cure (the proper way to do it).
Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, either way, I know the gasket is bad (I found a leak) and will have to replace it anyway. I have no idea what could be the source of the coolant leaking otherwise. It's from somewhere behind the water pump (the water pump itself is dry and very new). Coolant only comes out a puddle the size of a few quarters a day, but I find myself having to top off every few weeks. No shop/Technician I have asked has been able to identify the problem with my car so far. Maybe I'll post a video of startup and how it sounds later today and see if people know. If anyone has an idea let me know.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Launching!

MAKE SURE! That there is no coolant leaking down onto your opti distributer, it's right underneath the water pump and does not like to get wet
Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Maybe the throttle body coolant line is leaking above the water pump. You wrote you know there is a leak in your manifold gasket. Is it leaking vacuum or oil?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

http://shbox.com/ci/fastener_matrix.html

http://shbox.com/ci/intake_sequence.jpg

Note where the bolts came from.

Quick Reply: 95 Lt1 Intake Manifold Gasket Replacing