LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New Delco opti DEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Delco opti DEAD!

As title says, I have less than 1k on the new (reman) delco Opti in my 94z.

The last opti that it had was a gm one that the bearings finally crapped out in.

I searched around all the usual suspects for a new one including three dealerships only to find out that all that is available now are remans. All I have ever used in the 14yrs I've owned this car has been oe gm units from the local dealer since I have an account there.

So I figured since I was stuck with a reman I would try a Delco unit, this was appearantly a mistake...

Its still under warranty through summit so my question is if they will let me swap it out for something different are there any better options?

I noticed today they offer a chevy perfomance opti. Not sure if its actually a gm part or relabled crap...

Any input appreciated.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many have you gone through? I would be looking for other causes of failure besides the Opti itself such as a leaky water pump. I've never had an Opti problem ever.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can have Summit warranty you another remaned delco. Delphi actually is the manufacturer of the optis and they only sell new ones not remans.
Delphi p/n CZ20009 spline drive
Delphi p/n CZ20003 pin drive
Old 10-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guy's

I actually had one of the Delphi Opti's ordered and then found out they were backordered so I called and switched it to the delco reman

This is the first time I've ever had a Opti issue like this. Normally I know the cause of the failure ie coolant, water ect. It started not long after I installed this unit. I thought that it was bad gas the first time becouse it was intermittent. Then today it wasn't running right when I drove it around the block and it shut off. Fortunatly after a few min it started back and I was able to get it back home.

The only variable that has changed with the engine is the cam. I checked the dawel pin prior to install just to be sure as that is a known Opti killer...

I'm hoping I just got a bad Opti, I changed everything Opti related with the exception of the PCM with no change in driveability. I figured it was all old and couldn't hurt.

Sounds like the best option is to see if they will swap me a new Delphi Opti.

Quick Reply: New Delco opti DEAD!