LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

WOT surge/skip

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT surge/skip

Took the car out for a little drive tonight.. I've had the car only about 3 weeks and the previous owner told me he was only able to change the driver side spark plugs.. Not even sure if he even gapped them right.. Anyways... I take off from a dead stop tonight but didn't dump the clutch.. Punched it on first and it surged a little bit and then started picking up.. Hit second and kinda the same thing.. I have previously owned a 94 z28 that was cammed and had other mods so I'm still use to the pick up that had.. But I've never driven a stock LT1 besides this one. I just know it wasn't a smooth pick up.. I couldn't definitely tell it was missing.. What could it possibly be? Maybe the spark plugs? It doesn't do it just driving normally or even slowly winding out the gears... Just wide open throttle. I did punch it pretty hard.. Thanks for any help!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Also it still has the converter on it... Could it be clogged? I just found out yesterday that it has a slight exhaust leak around the converter... So the first chance I get I'm gonna have the car removed and just have a pipe put in its place.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

I would start with a Complete Tune Up! If the PO only changed part of the stuff who knows what it was!! Complete tune up is a new Cap & Rotor, Plugs & Wires!!! ALSO use loctite on the cap screws !!!! Clean the **** out of the throttle body too & change the pcv valve Bet hes never done that either LoL That will getcha started
Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How many miles are on the beast? You can also clean the maf and try running some sea foam through it
Old 11-18-2012, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by warriorcustoms
I would start with a Complete Tune Up! If the PO only changed part of the stuff who knows what it was!! Complete tune up is a new Cap & Rotor, Plugs & Wires!!! ALSO use loctite on the cap screws !!!! Clean the **** out of the throttle body too & change the pcv valve Bet hes never done that either LoL That will getcha started
Thanks man for the advice!
Old 11-18-2012, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1toofastlt1
How many miles are on the beast? You can also clean the maf and try running some sea foam through it
The car has 173k but the they claim the motor was replaced and that the motor has half of what the car shows.. Also 93's don't have maf's.. I know there has got to be a vacuum leak somewhere cause when I push in the clutch while rolling it won't idle back down to regular idle until the car comes to a complete stop.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 z28 A4
Also 93's don't have maf's..
You didn't state what year it was.

But start with doing a full tuneup first. Also, since it is a 93, check to see if it's been PROM'd, while you're at it. Being that old and not knowing any history on it, Might be something you want to check out.

As for a vacuum leak, check the elbow coming off the TB and back to the PCV.

Quick Reply: WOT surge/skip