LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

So my 93 TA uses a 92 starter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my 93 TA uses a 92 starter?

Okay, so I ordered a starter for my 93 LT1 TA online, and I know I ordered the part I needed. (or so I thought)

I pulled off my old starter and compared it to the new one very briefly (too briefly) and started installing the new one. I got the solenoid wired up and started to thread the bolts up into the block and....

It doesn't fit. the bolts run out of room before the starter seats on the block, and I couldn't fab up a spacer to make it work. After some cursing, I pulled the new one back off and compared the two again. My 1993 LT1 is using a starter from a 1992.

Attached are two pictures of the two starters... I even compared the one that was on the car to carquest's part for a 92 car. their part for the 93 is identical to the one I bought (which doesn't fit).

My question is not how I can fix this (I'll just buy the right starter...) but why an LT1 from 93 would have a different part number for the starter? did they have leftover blocks from earlier years that they ran for awhile in early 4th gens? I'm going to do some research on my build number and find out how early it is. This makes me worried about other "subtle" differences between my motor and later model LT1s. Any insight? thanks
Attached Thumbnails So my 93 TA uses a 92 starter?-93-starter.jpg   So my 93 TA uses a 92 starter?-92-firebird-starter.jpg  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The starters for ALL LT1s are interchangeable (at least when it comes to mounting to the block and mating to the flywheel) so it sounds to me that the starter you bought (or what was shipped) was the wrong one.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The starters for ALL LT1s are interchangeable (at least when it comes to mounting to the block and mating to the flywheel) so it sounds to me that the starter you bought (or what was shipped) was the wrong one.
I thought so as well... but the one I ordered looks exactly like the one on carquest's website (and a google image search for a 93 starter) and the one on my car has a slightly different top mounting surface and matches the pictures for the part from a 92.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Update... So today I decided to replace the oil pressure sensor because it was the source of a minor oil leak. I ordered the carquest part for a 93, pulled my sensor out of the block, and they don't match! The new one didn't fit either. I called back and exchanged it for a 92 part and it threaded right in and works... I'm convinced my block is slightly different from later model LT1s. I'm going to do some research on my build number and figure it out because the motor hasn't been swapped...

Quick Reply: So my 93 TA uses a 92 starter?