LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

bbk shorty header Y-Pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bbk shorty header Y-Pipe Question

I am installing a set of shorty headers from BBK (BBK 1567) on my 94 Z28 LT1. They came with a Y-pipe. Does anyone have experience installing this Y-pipe? The install instructions say:

Before installing the factory Y-pipe you must cut the passenger-side exhaust tube just below the flex tube
(approximately 5"). This will allow the supplied slip tube to be put in place.

Is there a reason why BBK gives an extra 5" on the Passenger-side exhaust tube? I don't understand why they would do this if the kit is suppose to be a direct fit application.

Before I cut off 5" of pipe I thought I should check.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Had to do this same thing when I had Edelbrock shorty headers, however that was using the stock y-pipe. Perhaps it's because when the y-pipe is fabbed it is not cut to an exact measurement. Always better to have too much material than not enough.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nucmedkahuna
I am installing a set of shorty headers from BBK (BBK 1567) on my 94 Z28 LT1. They came with a Y-pipe. Does anyone have experience installing this Y-pipe? The install instructions say:

Before installing the factory Y-pipe you must cut the passenger-side exhaust tube just below the flex tube
(approximately 5"). This will allow the supplied slip tube to be put in place.

Is there a reason why BBK gives an extra 5" on the Passenger-side exhaust tube? I don't understand why they would do this if the kit is suppose to be a direct fit application.

Before I cut off 5" of pipe I thought I should check.
please do yourself a favor and dont install these headers. they suck, they have terrible spark plug access, the headers dont seal to the y-pipe very well(seems like they are constantly leaking), the collector bolts break off and you have to cut them out, they dont fit very good imho(ive installed pacesetter long tubes in half the time it took to do these)... ive got first hand experience with all of these problems. Ive had all those problems with my set of headers over the course of a year and a half that ive had them

Quick Reply: bbk shorty header Y-Pipe Question