LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Idle drops upon startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle drops upon startup

Hey guys, I haven't been on in a while but I've ran into a problem. It's a 96 z28 H/C/I. i just recently did a 6 speed swap on the car. For the past week or so, I've been driving the car around the neighborhood, letting everything break in. Well today, I messed up and accidentally stalled the car. Ehh whatever, but when I went to start it (clutch down and in neutral), it cranked for at least 5 seconds until I pumped the gas and then it fired up. Now every time I start it, hot or cold, it starts fine, drops to like 300-400 rpm for a second and it brings itself back up to 1,000 rpm, which its tuned for. I'm not too sure what has happened. Maybe this happened to someone else? No DTCs other than auto trans codes are set (hasn't been tuned for 6 speed yet).

Thanks guys
Old 05-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Launching!

No expert, but I would get it tuned for m6 before I worry about anything. The fact your computer thinks its an auto and stalled itself out, prolly doesn't help any, just my line of thought.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Did you pump the gas or hold it to the floor to get it to start?
If it's the later than maybe there is a difference in cranking fuel between an auto and manual tune. I would figure an auto might need a little more. When you hold it to the floor it turns the injectors off. Maybe too much cranking fuel and it's flooding for a second and recovering. I have seen this when setting up my own crude EFI.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Teching In

I pumped it a couple times. Even without the tune, when I was all done, it started and ran great, just threw a check engine. Only when I stalled did things start acting up. Even when the idle picks back up, it still drives good and everything. When it stalled, it did jerk pretty rough. I'm just a little nervous if I stall again in traffic or something and then it won't start because I probably will stall again lol
Old 05-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Launching!

I'd say for now, unhook the battery and let it sit for a while to clear the BLMs and anything else it has learned. Then hook the battery back up and get it tuned ASAP after that.

Quick Reply: Idle drops upon startup